The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Danish newspaper with large covering of ME-debate in Denmark

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kalliope, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    One of the biggest newspapers in Denmark, Politiken, has an article today covering the ME-debate in Denmark. The title is: "Foreign professors: you are treating chronic fatigued Danes wrong"

They have interviewed professor Ola Saugstad (Norway) - "If Denmark still thinks ME is a functional disorder, this needs to change ASAP. An attitude like that is very harmful to the patients"
    Professor Komaroff - "It is not primarily at psychiatric disease and it is not a disease that the patients imagine they have"
    Professor Staines and Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik contributes in a mail to the newspaper that GET and CBT are harmful treatments for patients

The article also
    - Sums up the IOM-report
    - Introduces the Danish ME Association
    - Discusses the differences between research on ME and the "official" view on the disease in Denmark as a functional disorder
    - Interviews Danish Health Authority who says the diagnostic criteria for CFS fits the definition of functional disorders, as an illness with severe, but unexplained, physical symptoms.

All because today the Danish ME Association will have a meeting with Danish health authorities. They are bringing with them a 112-pages long report on ME.

Best of luck to them. Hope things will turn around in Denmark soon! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  2. mango

mango Senior Member

Wishing them the very best of luck! Keeping all my fingers and toes very tightly crossed for them..! :thumbsup:

Jennifer J, Dolphin, Bob and 7 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This article sounds great but my adblocker means I can't read it. I'm particularly interested in this:

It's time some academics said this! I usually like to send people to the newspaper for traffic but would you mind pasting this letter here?

Jennifer J, MEMum, Bob and 9 others like this.
  4. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Here is the Google Chrome automatic translation from Danish. Some extremely strong words there, fair play to them.

5. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Oh, my misunderstanding! I thought the Australian researchers had written an email to the newspaper, but it was included in the Danish ME Association's report about ME.

Seems I'm not properly caffeinated yet..

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I don't want to derail the thread, but this is important and I don't think I've seen it before. Is there a direct link? Is there a trustworthy translation (or the English original anywhere)?

Countrygirl, snowathlete and Kalliope like this.
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Jo Best, ScottTriGuy, mango and 2 others like this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks!

Page 3:

ME-Foreningen har indhentet udtalelser fra internationale ME-eksperter, se Bilag 8. Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik og professor Donald R.Staines fra National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases, Griffith University, Australia skriver: “There is no role for psychiatrists in ME/CFS. Indeed the litany of harm that has occurred by mislabelling this illness as, in any way a psychiatric disorder, is simply negligent”.Om GET g CBT skriver de “Practitioners of these interventions should be brought to account for medical negligence and these practices ceased immediately”.​

Wow, they really whack it to them in the email (reproduced as in image, in full, on pp. 83-85). Highly recommend that people read it.

Here's the link again:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s35jz04k...ME statusrapport version 1.0 kopi 2.pdf?dl=0

It's time we had academics saying this! Big thanks to Prof. Marshall-Gradisnik and Prof. Staines.

MEMum, AndyPandy, Bob and 19 others like this.
  9. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Just brilliant! I've printed off a copy of this email and I shall be sure to keep a copy about my person, so I can smack the next ignoramus who mentions PACE style CBT and GET right between the eyes with it!

MEMum, ScottTriGuy, Bob and 10 others like this.
  10. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Good luck to the Danes with this - may reason prevail!

MEMum, Bob, Jo Best and 4 others like this.
  11. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

Professor Donald Staines said at Invest in ME Conference in recent years words to the effect that any doctor prescribing exercise for CFS/ME should be struck off. I can check which year as it's on the conference DVD. It is very good to have this in black and white now also, as well as straight from the horse's mouth on DVD.

Helen, ScottTriGuy, Bob and 11 others like this.
  12. Jo Best

Jo Best Senior Member

MEMum, Bob, Effi and 6 others like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Don Staines said something similar a few years back at a London ME conference.

Ooops, @Jo Best already said that.

Jo Best, Daisymay and Kalliope like this.
  14. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

QUote: No good therapies
    Two Australian researchers from Griffith University in Australia, Professor Donald Staines and Sonya Marshall Gradisnik, said

" These seemingly therapies are completely out of step with the disease pathomechanism. Doctors who perform these treatments should be brought to liability for medical negligence and their practice cease immediately, "they write.

"There is no role for psychiatrists in treating chronic fatigue syndrome / ME," wrote the forward. End quote

Whoopee doo! Very well said ! Thanks for speaking out.

I sincerely hope more researchers will now do the same, thus helping to speed up the demise of the psychiatric reign.

Angel27, MEMum, ScottTriGuy and 7 others like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    Professor Staines, Dr Marshall-Gradisnik :love: :love: Hearing a statement like this does my heart good.

MEMum, Helen, ScottTriGuy and 5 others like this.
  16. mango

mango Senior Member

Screenshots from the report, p84-85:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    Someone tell Esther Crawley before she harms yet more children.

18. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Invisible Woman and Kalliope like this.
  19. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Yes please!

Luvin those say-it-like-it-is Aussies!

MEMum, Jo Best, AndyPandy and 3 others like this.
  20. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    The Danish newspaper Politiken yesterday also included an interview with professor Saugstad on the treatment of ME-patients in Denmark.

The title is: Norwegian professor says Danish treatment of chronic tired people (sic) is a big error

In the interview prof Saugstad says the Danish approach of ME/CFS as a psychosomatic illness creates more problems than is solves. It has contributed to a lot of harm to ME-patients. He further speaks about NIH prioritising biomedical ME-research, the IOM-report, recent research including the Norwegian research on cancer treatment and ME, surveys among ME-patients on lack of effect from CBT and GET, PACE-gate, and how pacing seems to be the best approach for now.

Lindberg, Dolphin, MEMum and 17 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.