Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Daily Telegraph: It’s time for doctors to apologise to their ME patients (Charles Shepherd)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Simon, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    This came out of the MEA's complaint about the Daily Telegraph's shocking "Exercise and positive thinking can overcome ME" piece, which resulted in a correction, and the offer to publish a piece on the MEA's views. This is that piece. It's a very engaging piece, in my view, that will appeal to a wide audience.

Back in 1955, a mysterious polio-like illness affected 262 doctors and nurses at London’s Royal Free Hospital. The hospital had to close for just over three months.

The outbreak was written up in The Lancet and a new neurological disease entered medical language: myalgic encephalomyelitis, or ME, as it still remains in the WHO Classification of Diseases. "Myalgic" referred to the muscle symptoms; "encephalomyelitis" referred to the various neurological symptoms...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    jadam914, Jennifer J, justy and 60 others like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Three cheers for @charles shepherd !!!!!:balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons::balloons:

Excellent article! Thank you!

I do hope I hear that apology before I fall off my perch.:)

3. adreno

adreno PR activist

Jennifer J, carmadw, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  4. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Mackay, Aust
    Headline's a ripper. Quite a good article.

Jennifer J, Woolie, PennyIA and 9 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  6. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    Excellent article. I'd be interested how prominently this is published, the 'Exercise and positivity can overcome ME' article after all was right on the front page.

I don't see it anywhere on the web front page, or in home>news, but it is in home>news>health.

svetoslav80, Woolie, Bob and 7 others like this.
  7. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Reminded of this post by the comments...
    Variations on these three already. Stay tuned!

Edit - further updates!

Woolie, SOC, Simon and 6 others like this.
  8. mango

mango Senior Member

9. moosie

moosie

Woolie, Dolphin, MeSci and 1 other person like this.
  10. moosie

moosie

Shame it isn't in the print copy.

Bob, MeSci, Simon and 1 other person like this.
  11. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Is it not? Have you got one? Maybe tomorrow.

12. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Thanks Charles. If only they published this article in the first place, and the other one never happened!

13. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

Thank you Charles. I only miss PEM in the article the most important symptom in my view.

14. msf

msf Senior Member

Thank you, Dr. Shepherd.

15. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

Charles has done a splendid job, both in what he has said and in managing to get it published.

However, I think it needs to be pointed out (ETA: my apologies to Moosie, who I see has already done so) that this has been published in the online version of the DT, not the print version (which still has the far bigger readership), and we should bear this in mind when assessing the extent to which the paper is making amends here for publishing the original damaging piece.

The Health and Features section of the print version is today running an article on - wait for it - how new techniques of CBT such as CFT, ACT, DBT, and MBCT can help patients suffering from a whole range of illnesses. You have to wonder which of these modified versions of CBT the Wessely school are going to seize on and promote as the new answer to ME/CFS.

justy, Woolie, Dolphin and 9 others like this.
  16. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Great article. I wish (like everyone else no doubt) that it had been given the same prominence as the original damaging exercise and happiness artlcle. :p Meh.

justy, moosie, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  17. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    So the Wessely School got an all-expense-paid vacation to a tropical resort while Dr Shepherd and the MEA got a biscuit. The message couldn't be any clearer: "No matter how much noise the patients the make, we always have a bigger megaphone." Well done, Science Media Centre!! :mad:

moosie, ahmo, sarah darwins and 6 others like this.
  18. SOC

SOC Senior Member

Dolphin, Sean and Bob like this.
  19. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. A front page headline in the news print might have a larger number of readers than an average online article. But the overall picture is different. The readership for the telegraph print edition is estimated at roughly 1 million, while the website reaches roughly an estimated 5 million readers daily and roughly an estimated 100 million readers monthly. (As far as I can work out.)

MeSci, SOC, meadowlark and 1 other person like this.
  20. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    It is on the front page of the on-line edition now, not because it was put there but it is currently in 4th position on the most shared article list.

See more popular forum discussions.