• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Telegraph: "Hannah Price: University and ME"

hellytheelephant

@sacha Can i recommend http://painexhibit.org/en/

This site was created specifically to show how pain affects patients, using images created by pain sufferers. I know that some of the images relate to different aspects of physical and mental illness..and ME ( I have a couple of pieces on here). Images from this site are often used to accompany web articles about pain. Maybe we need a specific resource of creative images for ME?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@sacha Can i recommend http://painexhibit.org/en/

This site was created specifically to show how pain affects patients, using images created by pain sufferers. I know that some of the images relate to different aspects of physical and mental illness..and ME ( I have a couple of pieces on here). Images from this site are often used to accompany web articles about pain. Maybe we need a specific resource of creative images for ME?

Just a namecheck - I think you meant me - I'm Sasha, not sacha (though I can see the source of the confusion! :)).

I'd be curious to know which of those images actually have accompanied articles on the web because most of them look very unlike the kind of thing that I've seen accompanying health articles. That's not to say that they don't have value as a means of self-expression or shared expression between patients but a lot of them look (to me, at any rate) quite a long way from the kind of thing that's likely to be used by professional media sources (though I see that a couple of academic pain journals are using them).

I hope I'm not sounding discouraging but I think it's important that people don't start doing or curating a lot of artwork of the wrong kind with the idea that it's going to be used by the media if it's the wrong sort of stuff.