1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Daily Telegraph article (should be in Monday August 29 edition)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This article briefly appeared on the Daily Telegraph website on August 26. (Dr.) Max Pemberton said that was an error and it will be in on Monday.
    It has been posted elsewhere so I thought I'd post it here.

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Daily Telegraph (UK) letter lengths August 26

I thought I'd post this early as it will be important to get letters in quickly on Monday or Tuesday as my "research" shows.

--------------
    (from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/ )
    [Dolphin: Sunday Telegraph bit isn't relevant but thought I'd give full quote]

---------------
    This does not include the bit in brackets e.g. (Letters, August 24), (Comment, August 25), etc. which might only be in one letter if more than one letter is published on a subject:

Length of individual letters in Friday's paper: 23, 24, 31, 35, 35, 47, 50, 51, 52, 53, 66, 76, 114, 118, 127, 137, 145, 169, 179 and 182.

Summary: 19 letters ranging from 23-182 words.

Median length: 66 words

11 letters under 100 words,

8 letters 100-199 words,

0 letters 200+ words

Letters on August 23 paper: 1

Letters on August 24 paper: 8

Letters on August 25 paper: 9

Letters on August 26 paper: 1 (Im bit confused by this one)

Anyway, presuming the article is in Mondays Telegraph, they are most likely to publish letters on Tuesday and/or Wednesday (it seems) i.e.
    well need to get in pretty quick.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    worse than placebo constitutes "real progress"?

4. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    While getting letters in is one thing which people should do if they think appropriate and can - prompt submission of good quality responses in the comments section is extremely important - bearing in mind the watering down and limiting of published responses we've seen just today in the Observer.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, getting in early with online comments is a good idea - more people will read them, the earlier they get in. As you did with the Spectator article, Angela, which I'm guessing probably meant "dropping everything (or nearly everything)" to get it in quickly.
    Also, if there are annoying commentators, their comments will be lower and so will likely be read by fewer people.

However, I'm not giving up on letters. I'm going to send my letters in to the Spectator in a while (just going to go out and get some sun) and then plan to write to the Telegraph. If one only writes a letter that is 100-200 words or less*, it doesn't have to take too long.

* my longest draft Spectator letter is over 300 words (as range they had went up to 289 words for last two editions) but have done shorter versions

6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Very good ideas! :D

And lets try to keep the letters focused on explaining the good research--not tearing down the (bio)psychosocial school. Let the facts do that.

7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Does anybody have stats for the amount of spent on biomedical research in the UK?

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It's basically 0m for grant applications to the Medical Research Council (they have funded little bits of other biomedical research (like part funding a study on XMRV) but haven't approved any researchers who have filled in a grant application through the normal means and asked for money).

9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Look for a building which people are going in and out of holding books. boom! boom! (as Basil Brush would say - you probably don't know him)
    My PM also gives a clue.

10. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Well, I thought so... but then I wondered, how did the Kerr and Kennedy studies get funded?

11. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    oh, here we go, Kerr's 8 genomic subtypes:

and Kennedy's increased neutrophil apoptosis:

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Looks like the Telegraph article is going ahead (in some form anyway) - Tweet from MP from 3 hours ago:

13. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
    I checked at 7 am BST (40 minutes ago)- it's not up on that link- and I'm having trouble navigating the Telegraph site to search for it.

If anyone locates it- I'd be very grateful if they highlight it as soon as they can. Thank you in advance! :)

14. Sherrie

Sherrie

Adelaide
  15. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
  16. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Just to let you know I've put in my comment - Telegraph being easy to respond to for me. I did enjoy the other comments - lots of good points made. Thanks for the link Sherrie.

17. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    Here is my letter:

Max Pemberton (Health, 29 August) states that the gold standard for treatment for ME is supervised exercise and talking therapies. He is presumably referring to the PACE trial which recently evaluated these treatments. But his statement that at least one in three patients in this trial recovered is completely false. If he had bothered to read the paper properly he would have seen that after a year of treatment patients receiving graded exercise therapy had on average increased the distance they were able to walk in six minutes from 312 to 379 metres. This is far from recovery at normal walking speed healthy people typically cover about 500 metres! And patients receiving cognitive behaviour therapy for a year did not significantly increase their walking ability at all.

Medical research (mainly American) clearly shows that those with ME have complex and severe neurological and immune system abnormalities. Im not a severe case, but having ME feels like a combination of a bad case of flu, coupled with a hangover, which has lasted for decades and cost me my career (as a psychologist). Some patients have been bed-ridden or house-bound for much of their lives, with a quality of life which is less than that of many end-stage cancer patients. Dr Pemberton says that we refuse treatment, but in reality we are desperate for it. However, many of us could not even get to our local hospital to participate in the types of therapies he refers to. In some cases our pain, suffering and despair at the lack of support we receive from the medical profession leads to suicide. Dr Pemberton is correct to say that the MRC has funded some (very small-scale) research into viral causes, but the amount of investment in biomedical research is completely insignificant compared with funding for other chronic diseases. It is an outrage that there has never been any serious attempt in this country to research or treat this devastating condition.

Dr Jennifer Kidd

18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Good letter, Jenny.
    Hopefully they'll be willing to edit it; on Friday, the paper had 19 letters ranging from 23-182 words.

19. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Good letter Jenny.

I also find it very strange that Dr Pemberton appears to be at odds with what Prof Wessely wrote in the Spectator. I wonder if he even read that article?

20. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Change in Telegraph article from Friday - anyone able to check the hard copy?

Change in Telegraph article from Friday - anyone able to check the hard copy?
    "A major British trial published in The Lancet found that at least one in three patients with ME recovered using this approach."
    to
    (on website now) "A major British trial published in The Lancet found that at least one in three patients with ME improved or recovered using this approach."

See more popular forum discussions.