1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Daily Mail: The fog of fatigue I lived in for 16 years has lifted at last...

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England

2. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

There are gaping holes in this story and I wonder if she really even had/has me/cfs. It's just too simplistic to explain why she is feeling better.Perhaps, she was just burnt out but it's hard to tell from the bits and pieces of information provided.. I am crappy right now, so this is the short version of my take on this article but wanted to put in my two cents worth.:D

Barb

Jemal, beaker, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    I agree Barb - funny isn't it how we get these 'I'm recovered' stories after they've had some bad press or good challenging to the psychs stand. They certainly have a good relationship with the UK press. Always available to comment. The lovely Peter White who's done so much o_O not in a good way.
    Now would the Daily Mail like to do a weekly, nay daily, story of a day in the life of - starting with some on here , we could keep them going for a few years. Of course it would make depressing reading so they probably don't really want that.
    Rot rot and more rot. The fog lifted - how the hell - give us details - and then she made an album.
    Give me strength.............literally.

sianrecovery, Bob, beaker and 3 others like this.
  4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Speechless - this is so flawed (as usual with the psychos and pals).

beaker, svetoslav80 and merylg like this.
  5. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    Do I laugh or cry? P'raps I'll just use this in a lesson on propaganda...ye gods and little fishes!

svetoslav80 likes this.
  6. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    This is part of the "Barts fights back" on the PACE trial. We see things like this planted in the media when one of the Psych crowd is under threat.

She looks pretty crap in that photo but obviously I have no idea what she looked like when well. Tired eyes and a frozen face tell a different story from the text. Her next crash will be right around the corner.

7. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    Oh Wow! Everyone's comments to this have cheered me up :) It worries me when people get better after psychological intervention. Maybe she was just burnt out and depressed?!

No shrink is going to make me feel less tired - I reckon they'd probably give me depression.

Also, how do people who are seriously ill with ME go to one of these clinics regularly? It would wipe me out!

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Her CBT sounds like it was aimed at pacing - probably not something she got from Bart's, even though the article refers to Bart's when talking about treatment in general terms. And her continuing fatigue sends the same message - she learned how to pace, but still has PEM if she pushes it.

I think the main problem is a confusion in terms with dual meanings, like "CBT" and the general concept of "recovery".

9. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I don't think the psych. folks deliberately ask the press to print these stories. Certainly they have better things to worry about. More likely a case of how the press loves controversy as it makes good news which means selling more papers.

I do have to say that I was impressed with Peter White's statement. And no I have not joined the Wesley and company fan club. :lol:

Barb

10. jeffrez

jeffrez Senior Member

NY
    I love XTC and Andy P, but here's the key line in the story, imo:

By 2006, her fog had started to lift and she began to record the longed-for album, which will finally be released next month.

My guess is after they've gotten the record sales from the increased publicity and curiousity/sympathy and then things start dying down again, the ME/CFS will "mysteriously" return. "I guess I overdid it making the album and had a relapse - guess I'll just have to do more CBT!" lol

justy, beaker, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  11. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    " Erica believes her symptoms had been creeping up on her before she met Partridge in 1996, at a New York party. It was love at first sight. ‘He said, “Why don’t you come and stay with me in England?” So I did. I came, collapsed, and here I am still."

How convenient. :rolleyes: Are there any more Partridges out there to house all the really sick ME patients in England, who are so destitute and ill that they're just hanging by a thread.

This story really does feel like a publicity stunt.

12. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Any article that starts with "Roy Lichtenstein’s nudes frolic on a primary colour beach, as bouncy as the beach balls they hold. The pop artist, the subject of a major retrospective at London’s Tate Modern, based these portraits from the early Nineties on his then muse, Erica Wexler." can not be taken seriously.

13. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I thought that this bit was interesting:

"I’ve tried acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicines, vitamin and anti-viral drips, allergy diets, oxygen tanks, ozone therapy, spiritual healing, massage therapy, yoga..."

It's quite possible that one or more of these has given her a degree of recovery.

Valentijn likes this.
  14. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Of course its part of their fight back they've had a tough time recently, been backed up a few times and possibly the most uncomfortable they've ever been.
    You're spot on with the comment on her eyes - never noticed her eyes on first look, I can see it now.

ukxmrv likes this.
  15. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Of course all available on the NHS to ME sufferers:lol::lol: And she spent HOW MUCH to get better?

16. outofstep

outofstep

Andy Partridge had a "nervous breakdown" where he collapsed onstage while performing with XTC in France in 1982 and has not been able to tour since then because of his issues. It's interesting that this was not mentioned, and that his partner has embraced a psych explanation for her "illness".

Little Bluestem, ukxmrv and beaker like this.
  17. Zensational

Zensational

Orlando, Florida
    Regardless of whether you believe the story is a publicity stunt or not surely you know that unresolved emotional issues set us up for illness. The word autoimmune means "against self". Most of the negative perceptions we have learned about ourselves from parents, teachers, friends, etc, are not true but we have continued to believe them. Having said that, I have personally tried many alternative/congitive therapies and believe that I have addressed all of the childhood and young adult issues that I can remember and do believe that there is great value in doing so. But bottom line, I'm still ill to the point that I manage day to day. It's very frustrating. So I am now using my imagination to IMAGE myself as I would like to be. All of the great thinkers tell us that we are continuously creating our reality by what we think about. This is not easy and there is a huge temptation for me to feel sad and focus on the pain and fatigue. However, any effort in imagining does not go unnoticed. Sooo...I looked in my bag of tricks and ran out of tricks. Guess it's up to me to change my mind. I just don't think it can hurt and what do I have to loose.

sianrecovery likes this.
  18. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

OMG, I laughed until my stomach hurt!!

My record of me whistling country music songs will be out..................................... later.:aghhh:

We is a funny group and you all will buy my album. Disability doesn't pay much!!!

Barb

19. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    I too thought you looked like crap and run down in the photo (thou I have no idea what she looked like before). My first thought on seeing that photo was "It's she truely recovered from ME/CFS?" . So it didnt surprise me at all to later read things in that article which makes one think she isnt actually recovered at all.

Are they viewing she's recovered just cause she's "managed" to do an album? I bet if she dont carefully pace she will be right back to where she was before. Is she "managing" to work full time thou?

Her episodes of fatigue... I wonder if they leave her bedridden at times..... I doubt very much when she says she has episodes of fatigue that she is refering to what people refer to as being fatigue who have never had this illness.

Valentijn likes this.
  20. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    So that's 7 years to do an album. That strikes me as a long time. Bands and trends have come and gone in that time period.

All that said. Good for her for being able to stick with it and complete it. Too bad she threw the community under the bus in the process. ( intentionally or not . I'm hoping the later.) She missed a great opportunity to do good. bummer.

justy, maryb, Enid and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.