Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Daily Mail: Driven insane by your own immune system...

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Firestormm, May 2, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England

For rest of the article see here.​

merylg, Enid, PhoenixDown and 2 others like this.
  2. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Maybe if I'd added 'Rituximab' to the title of this thread it might gain more attention. Interesting article all the same. And of interest in our world I would think.

Bob likes this.
  3. adreno

adreno Homo neanderthalensis

The North
    Seems that the strategy of blocking NMDA receptors (in order to reduce excitotoxicity) that many seem to advocate might not always be a good idea. I certainly get extremely brain-fogged from NMDA antagonists. Stimulating the NMDA might actually be a more viable option in these cases.

4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Interesting article, thanks Firestormm.

There seem to be a number of parallels with ME/CFS. (e.g. Rituximab, Herpes virus, and auto-immunity.)

5. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Not that I read the Daily Wail you understand, Bob :) Charles flagged it on MEA Facebook earlier. Makes one think and I do like articles like that. It's all biology at the end of the day - however it's categorised.

Bob likes this.
  6. Ian

Ian Senior Member

She probably has an amalgam filling

7. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    It does depend on which antibodies you have :

Anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis and late onset autism are recently recognised and related autoimmune disorders involving antibodies to NMDA(glutamatergic) receptors with prodromal symptoms reminiscent of a viral infection and that result in a wide range of movement and neuropsychiatric symptoms and neuroinflammation. (Dalmau et al, 2011).

Autoimmune encephalitis (where symptoms include psychiatric features, confusion, memory loss and seizures followed by a movement disorder, loss of consciousness and autonomic fluctuations) and related disorders have also been associated with anti GABA-B receptor antibodies and/or glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD – the enzyme responsible for converting glutamic acid to GABA) antibodies (Boronat et al, 2011). One recent hypothesis (Fitzgerald, Carter, 2011) proposes decreased GAD expression or activity as playing a key role in fibromyalgia.

Rituximab has also been used to treat anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis (Ikeguchi et al, 2012) supporting a close link between autoimmunity, glutamate/GABA and encephalitis.

Valentijn likes this.
  8. AbbyDear

AbbyDear

usa
    interesting. i have been trying to share this idea for some time - because of how i feel, and react (mcs). docs have no clue. here another link to consider (an old article - i not a fan of antidepressants...so read with a bit of caution):
    http://www.cytokines-and-depression.com/chapter1.html
    and books:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cytokines-Stress-Immunity-Second-Edition/dp/0849320747/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367569510&sr=8-1&keywords=cytokines stress
    http://www.amazon.com/Chronic-Fatig...=UTF8&qid=1367569560&sr=1-10&keywords=patarca

See more popular forum discussions.