• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily Mail announces CF (CFS?) and fibromyalgia reclassified as BDS by WHO

HowToEscape?

I like they included interstitial cystitis in there. I'd love to hear more about how they think bleeding and inflamed bladders stem from the mind.

"We don't know how your defective personality and genes made your internals bleed, you sorry sod, but we are the only ones who can help you with your self-destructive welfare seeking behavior."

Last edited:

Janet Dafoe

Board Member
Here is the comment that I posted about this ridiculous article:
There is abundant evidence that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome has a physiological basis. It is not a functional disorder. This new diagnosis is just a intellectualized label for people with diseases that science hasn't figured out yet. It is insulting to patients and utterly useless. These people should read the scientific literature. They should be ashamed of themselves. They are causing further harm. It is ridiculous and a step backwards! Janet Dafoe, PhD

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rs-t-dismiss-symptoms-mind.html#ixzz4cE67UDhs
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
@Rose49, you missed a bit: "This new diagnosis is just a intellectualized label for people with diseases that science hasn't figured out yet by people who are not very good with numbers." But I understand that your response was too polite to include that last bit.

Well it is the same argument one of my family members used. I believe I am sick and therefore my body starts to be sick and thus creates all the problems, including blood parameters and such. Ergo, if I stop believing to be sick, I would be fine again.

Only I know about the many years I was ignoring everything that happened in my body, since I believed that I was strong and did not have any problems and just needed an extended period of rest. At some point believe was just not enough anymore to function.

It was funny when I told doctors about my tiredness and they said I should work less and the only question I asked myself - how should I work even lesser?

Placebo-sickness, mind-over-matter-disease

I am just happy for the internet as without it, forums like this one wouldn't exist and patients would be left in the hands of authorities that are not carefull and attentive.

I am incredibly worried about the attempts to limit the availability of nutritional supplements as this will again take power of people over themselves and their body and give it again to the hands of authorities that then will decide which supplements a single patient might try or not. Most people here probably know how long they had to wait until something as simple as iron deficiency was diagnosed.

Even though I have a history of hypothyroidism, my iodine status was tested only once in 4 years. The doctor prescribed LT immediately, yet I was deficient in iodine as it turned out later. Now I have to think about a way on how to get away from the pills without suffering for half a year until my thyroid can function itself again. These very hard basic relations seem to cease to exist as soon as there is a double-blind-placebo-controlled-med on the market.

Hilary

I have also upvoted some of the comments but, try as I might (and I have), I can't post a comment and I see they are no longer accepting comments. Infuriating to waste time on a rag like the Mail to no avail......... cats are very wisely keeping out of my way:cat:....

I can't believe that anyone with half a brain would consider this rubbish remotely credible. The psychiatrists seem to want to bag everything for themselves - on the one hand the slightest variation from 'normal' behaviour/way of seeing the world is readily pathologised/ turned into a mental heath disorder and then - on the other hand - clearly physical disorders are in effect dismissed and given these ridiculous invented labels. How about FOPS? (fatuous overweening psychiatrist syndrome)

Hilary

@Jan - but you are applying intellect, logic, rational argument - I don't see much sign of those in use in the BPS fantasy world of PACE...