Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Daily Mail announces CF (CFS?) and fibromyalgia reclassified as BDS by WHO

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4332866/Why-doctors-t-dismiss-symptoms-mind.html

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rs-t-dismiss-symptoms-mind.html#ixzz4bxmTNnkY
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Where is the evidence that the mind is the cause of disease in these cases?

They're trying to market the idea of the mind being the cause of disease as "progressive", when it is actually regressive: it's old medical superstition. It's just hysteria rebranded. Coupled with denial of the biomedical literature, this ideology is now being revived to serve the agenda of insurance companies and health care systems intent on saving money.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Great....

They'll publish this pile of sh*** and focus on the efforts of moral midgets while ignoring the real science of mental giants like Davis, Naviaux, Staines, Fluge & Mella etc...

:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

4. Countrygirl

UK
  5. Countrygirl

UK
    I see this particular moral and scientific midget (thank you @Invisible Woman :)) is sticking his oar in again.

6. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
    How the hell did they come up with that title "Why doctors can no longer dismiss symptoms as 'all in the mind': Experts reveal medically unexplained conditions can still have a physical cause" It is completely contradictory to everything in the article. Lumping a bunch of unrelated conditions together each likely with different underlying causes and prescribing everybody antidepressants and CBT is precisely dismissing symptoms as 'all in the mind'

7. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    This reminds me of a debate held between Wessley and White:

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/185/2/95

8. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Wow! Medically unexplained symptoms can have a physical cause? What an absolute shocker. That would mean doctors don't know everything there is to know about the body, which is frankly difficult to believe.

9. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Psycho babblers trying to plug the gaping holes in their rapidly sinking ship?

10. Countrygirl

UK
    I think the UK is prepared to drain the ocean dry rather than allow this particular ship to sink.

11. Apple

Apple Senior Member

UK
    I like they included interstitial cystitis in there. I'd love to hear more about how they think bleeding and inflamed bladders stem from the mind.

12. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    Mind over bladder?

halcyon, TrixieStix, Grigor and 36 others like this.
  13. suseq

suseq

London (UK)
    Dear @Rose49, thank you so much for your comment under the article calling out this nonsense. I can't wait for the day your husband and his team, and all the other scientists, doctors and advocates working with and on behalf of the patient community prove these clowns wrong. That day can't come soon enough.

There is nothing scientific or holistic about their approach. It is a purely subjective psychological hypothesis without any objective evidence, and their constant reframing/renaming will not change this fact.

14. JamBob

JamBob Senior Member

This is some dumb logic. Lots of diseases and conditions have overlapping symptoms - it doesn't mean they have the same pathological cause.

15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ummm, I will give it a label. THB Too Hard Basket. The common diagnostic feature is doctors do not have a clue about what is wrong, even when there are multiple objective tests available. This is not scientifically justified in the slightest extent.

We do need to be careful though in presuming CFS and ME are indeed rebranded here. This was in the daily mail, not an official WHO release.

16. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Yep, I agree with the THB - but in the UK, if not outright rebranding, then they are at least dumping us all in the same waste bin. This thread here is very informative about the current state of play in the UK:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ening-across-the-uk.48710/page-24#post-825162

The thing with these devious b*****s is that they are ...well...devious... today it's shove us all in the same basket, a basket which encourages doctors to stop testing and start assuming and then, well, then tomorrow: well, we might as well stick the same label on them anyway. This is simply the opening shot....

Plum, suseq, Countrygirl and 6 others like this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

[Satire] Let us solve this diagnostic dilemma right now. There are only four major symptoms in existence - pain, fatigue, depression and anxiety. Therefore there are only four diseases, though in acute and chronic forms. Guess what they are? So Chronic Fatigue would cover ME, though with a touch of chronic depression and chronic pain.

Since only biopsychosocial doctors have the expertise to deal with all these domains, then it follows we don't need the other doctors. Close up your practices, turn all hospitals into psych hospitals, and you can slash the medical costs of the world by a huge margin. Bargain. Medical insurers and governments will surely agree.

[End Satire]

Let us not go back to diagnosis by broad symptoms while ignoring details of patient medical history and presentation. There is a reason why the NIMH is working on a scientific diagnostic construct and hoping to ditch the DSM and the ICD equivalents. There is plentiful evidence of clear physical pathophysiology in many of these disorders, including ME. Otherwise are we going to reintroduce Wasting Disease, aka cancer?

This is akin to medical populism. Its not science, but borrows from medical management practices, as in the business side of things.

Mel9, Countrygirl, barbc56 and 4 others like this.
  19. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

As we know items appearing in the Daily Mail may be 16 years out of date. Perhaps this is just a hidden "Guess the year" challenge.

20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Not just in the UK, though arguably that is the worst place, but even here in Australia there are signs this is happening, albeit slowly.

Sean and sarah darwins like this.

See more popular forum discussions.