A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.
  1. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    Just started taking d ribose and I think....possibly...maybe....I have a tad more energy. Maybe. I'm obviously hesitant to trust this, keep considering all the other things it could be, but I do seem to be able to do more. And my mind is a bit clearer. Mmmmm.

Anyone else taken d ribose? What was your experience?

Mary and Jennifer J like this.
  2. perchance dreamer

perchance dreamer Senior Member

I take Jarrow D-Ribose, but can only take 1/8 of a tsp. It does give me energy, but also insomnia in any dose higher than that. Wish I could take more!

Jennifer J likes this.
  3. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    Gosh, that's interesting, Perchance Dreamer, ope it doesn't result in more insomnia for me - I've only just addressed that with Melatonin! How long have you been taking it?

4. perchance dreamer

I've been taking it a long time. I have such a sensitive system that I used to only be able to take 1/64 tsp. without getting insomnia.

I think insomnia is extremely uncommon with ribose, judging from internet searches I did at the time. D-Ribose seems to be well tolerated.

otterjack likes this.
  5. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    @otterjack - I've been taking d-ribose for 10 years and would not be without it. I take around 15 grams a day, 1/2 in the morning with my coffee and the rest after lunch. It does make a difference. Sarah Myhill recommends taking it with coffee or some type of caffeine, which is supposed to potentiate its effect.

Several months ago I tried cutting back on my dose, but my energy correspondingly went downhill.

That's too bad it causes insomnia for you, @perchance dreamer! I've had tons of experience with insomnia, but never due to d-ribose.

6. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I strongly suspect that it is generally better for men than for women. This was partly confirmed by BBC Inside Science this evening, where they picked up on the fact that drugs work differently in males than in females. (Unfortunately they didn't seem to have overcome their obsession with testing in animals though.)

Ron Davis/his colleague (can't remember the name, sorry) has also found big genetic differences between men and women.

I can't tolerate d-ribose. It was awful, and messed up my guts. This has also been found by other scientists - about a third of people can't tolerate it.

7. Ravn

Ravn

Have been experimenting with D-ribose (different doses, timings, combinations with other supplements) for about 2 years.

For me, a combination of a total of 10g D-ribose in 3 split doses plus 500mg Acetyl-L-Carnitine in the morning helps enormously with brain fog - but sadly with absolutely nothing else.

Higher doses don't increase this effect for me, plus they upset my stomach a little.

Taking only one or the other doesn't work for me, it has to be the combo.

echobravo, sue la-la and Mary like this.
  8. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    I've actually been adding the d-ribose to my mid afternoon coffee, without knowing that caffeine assists it's effect. I'll continue with that. I'm so hoping this isn't short lived - so many other supplements have been and gone with no effect whatsoever.

It's good to hear that it has been helpful for other people too.

Mary likes this.
  9. perchance dreamer

I had forgotten that some people don't do well with d-ribose.

@otterjack, I wish I could have coffee in the mid afternoon! It would give me sleep problems.

10. Murph

Murph :)

I take d-ribose along with whey protein. The combo has done really amazing things for me - i truly believe for some people the amino acids can be used as energy and really make a huge difference to symptoms. Perhaps the ribose is the important part of it but I'm enjoying the effect too much to do an experiment and find out what specifically is helping. I literally just jogged round the block this morning. admittedly it's a small block - maybe 600 metres - but still!! :) I'm in a condition I haven't been in for years.

tl;dr I recommend d-ribose. consider combining with whey.

11. sue la-la

sue la-la

Melbourne, Australia
    i take d-ribose in a milkshake - with whey protein (incl cysteine), rice milk, cocoa powder & a dash of pink salt.

it's especially useful when my muscles are exhausted after a minor activity - it gets them back to non-painful within a few days, instead of a few weeks.

Never Give Up and Murph like this.
  12. otterjack

otterjack

Manchester, UK
    @Murph - I have why protein too, though only a couple of times a week. Might up the amount and see how things go when combined with the d-ribose.

Well done on your jog round the block!

Murph likes this.
  13. Murph

Murph :)

fyi I megadose the whey. 100-150g/day. it seems very effective.

See more popular forum discussions.