• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-Ribose: does anyone else find it immediately uncomfortable?

bigmillz

I'll be honest, d-ribose isn't a supplement I'm looking forward to. It's inconvenient, because I have to lug around a bucket of powder, or prepare a bottle of water pre-mixed every day. I'd love for it to be a flop lol.

I just tried a scoop of 5g, and within 20 minutes, I'm finding myself jittery and uncomfortable, and really lacking in any sort of focused energy. Kind of like I get from caffeine these days.

Can anyone relate? Does it change with extended use? I'd just assume less is better, but the level of benefit is so lacking, I don't know if it'd even be worth taking at a lower dose.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I'll be honest, d-ribose isn't a supplement I'm looking forward to. It's inconvenient, because I have to lug around a bucket of powder, or prepare a bottle of water pre-mixed every day. I'd love for it to be a flop lol.

I just tried a scoop of 5g, and within 20 minutes, I'm finding myself jittery and uncomfortable, and really lacking in any sort of focused energy. Kind of like I get from caffeine these days.

Can anyone relate? Does it change with extended use? I'd just assume less is better, but the level of benefit is so lacking, I don't know if it'd even be worth taking at a lower dose.

First time I took it, I nearly threw it up shortly afterwards, and I hadn't taken anywhere near the full dose. I had cautiously taken a smaller amount and hadn't even consumed half of that. The glands in my neck started swelling up, I felt ill, there was a stimulant-type surge in my body, and I crashed and felt low later in the day. But I'd paid for it, so I tried it again at a tiny dose, and worked up. Then jumped to a full 5g scoop, and there was no reaction. I think generally it does help me. But I'm taking it on top of other things.

I haven't been able to take caffeine since the original virus that caused the ME. But I seem to tolerate this fine now. The bad reaction was a one-off, probably because I lowered it then carefully put it up. Being powder, it's easy to have smaller doses to start.

bigmillz

First time I took it, I nearly threw it up shortly afterwards, and I hadn't taken anywhere near the full dose. I had cautiously taken a smaller amount and hadn't even consumed half of that. The glands in my neck started swelling up, I felt ill, there was a stimulant-type surge in my body, and I crashed and felt low later in the day. But I'd paid for it, so I tried it again at a tiny dose, and worked up. Then jumped to a full 5g scoop, and there was no reaction. I think generally it does help me. But I'm taking it on top of other things.

I haven't been able to take caffeine since the original virus that caused the ME. But I seem to tolerate this fine now. The bad reaction was a one-off, probably because I lowered it then carefully put it up. Being powder, it's easy to have smaller doses to start.

If I crash in a few hours, then I think I'll totally rule this one out. But we'll see. Do you still crash now that you've worked up in dose? What was the smaller dose you started with?

Any idea what caused your ME?

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
If I crash in a few hours, then I think I'll totally rule this one out. But we'll see. Do you still crash now that you've worked up in dose? What was the smaller dose you started with?

Any idea what caused your ME?

No, it hasn't had this effect on me since. I think if it's evened out over the day that might help too, whereas being the first day, I tried it once and then backed off. But it's fine now.

Smaller dose - the very first one that caused the trouble was maybe one gram or so, maybe two. I took much smaller amount after that, but was able to work up very quickly, then took a risk and jumped to 5g, and I was fine.

I had viral onset ME back in the mid-80s.

bigmillz

No, it hasn't had this effect on me since. I think if it's evened out over the day that might help too, whereas being the first day, I tried it once and then backed off. But it's fine now.

Smaller dose - the very first one that caused the trouble was maybe one gram or so, maybe two. I took much smaller amount after that, but was able to work up very quickly, then took a risk and jumped to 5g, and I was fine.

I had viral onset ME back in the mid-80s.

Glad to hear the crash went away. The best thing I can relate this to at this point is still caffeine. Little shaky and doesn't feel very organic. The mental energy doesn't feel useful (it's hard to write this post, word choice is tough), but damn, I feel like I could run a marathon.

I'll keep testing, but I'm not sure how I feel about this one! Thanks for your input.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Glad to hear the crash went away. The best thing I can relate this to at this point is still caffeine. Little shaky and doesn't feel very organic. The mental energy doesn't feel useful (it's hard to write this post, word choice is tough), but damn, I feel like I could run a marathon.

I'll keep testing, but I'm not sure how I feel about this one! Thanks for your input.

When I first took L-Carnitine I also had a rush sensation - it's obviously a stimulant, and I was wary about taking another, but I felt my head was clearer later in the day, it was quite noticeable, and again, I cut down the dose, and put it back up again fairly quickly and have not had any more problems. Carnitine is one of my must-takes, because it's been a real help.

I wonder if the ribose is perhaps helpful when you do actually have to do something. The danger is you push yourself beyond your limits though.

bigmillz

When I first took L-Carnitine I also had a rush sensation - it's obviously a stimulant, and I was wary about taking another, but I felt my head was clearer later in the day, it was quite noticeable, and again, I cut down the dose, and put it back up again fairly quickly and have not had any more problems. Carnitine is one of my must-takes, because it's been a real help.

I wonder if the ribose is perhaps helpful when you do actually have to do something. The danger is you push yourself beyond your limits though.

Really good point on pushing it too far. LCF helped me a good amount, but I feel I didn't notice it a lot as I was already taking TMG at the time. I've heard that smooths it out.

The energy I get from increasing my mB12 dose feels much more natural and useful. Like I feel clearheaded and interested in applying the extra energy. This is just extra energy, without anywhere to apply it.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Really good point on pushing it too far. LCF helped me a good amount, but I feel I didn't notice it a lot as I was already taking TMG at the time. I've heard that smooths it out.

The energy I get from increasing my mB12 dose feels much more natural and useful. Like I feel clearheaded and interested in applying the extra energy. This is just extra energy, without anywhere to apply it.

I tried a topical B12 application - cos I read on this forum some people were trying it - and I ended up with aches and pains that I don't normally have. Like in my legs and arms. Not sure what that was about, but I find CoQ10 (wakes me up without the horrible woolly head now), LC (I am more verbally articulate again and clearer headed), and D3 are the best supplements for me. I will finish this tub of ribose and maybe try more because I'm somewhat forgetful about that one. I agree though that energy without any means to expend it can be uncomfortable.

bigmillz

I tried a topical B12 application - cos I read on this forum some people were trying it - and I ended up with aches and pains that I don't normally have. Like in my legs and arms. Not sure what that was about, but I find CoQ10 (wakes me up without the horrible woolly head now), LC (I am more verbally articulate again and clearer headed), and D3 are the best supplements for me. I will finish this tub of ribose and maybe try more because I'm somewhat forgetful about that one. I agree though that energy without any means to expend it can be uncomfortable.

I was actually the total opposite with CoQ10 - recently tried it and it dropped my BP to a non-functional level. I'm still 100x better than I was a year ago, so I'm not upset about a few supplements not working here and there.

actup

I seem to tolerate it well(use 2 tsp) and have only used it in combination w high dose benfotiamine (currently 1000mg). It is one of my energy boosters but I use less often now as I recently learned I am prediabetic.This combo does give me a 3-4 hr period w a noticeable energy increase.