• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-ribose - can it make you feel bad?

snowathlete

Hi, everyone. I started d-ribose powder 4 days ago. I'm doing the go low, go slow approach. I'm taking about 1.5 grams after my morning (which is late afternoon/evening) food, today I took less than 1 gram. I've noticed I'm feeling extra wired but tired and anxious. Strange cause this hits me hours later and then hours after I wake up, too. This anxious feeling is new to me.

Woke up this morning very crashed and spacey. Generally don't feel spacey. Foggy yes, but not this kind of spacey. At times can barely read or take words in. After I took it today and the first day I took it, I became very sleepy and spacey and cold.

Was wondering if the tired but wired and anxious was my body adjusting to the changes this is creating and if I should go lower and continue days longer and see how this goes? I had high hopes that this could help me, I really, really need to have more energy.

As far as my fatigue after eating, ? - hoping it's not a reactive hypoglycemia reaction, thought maybe it's too much food in a short period of time, it generally takes me 4 or more hours to slowly eat because can't get out of bed to dish things out, with taking ribose been eating my food in a 1/2 hour to an hour. My food: 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup soy milk, a little packet of oatmeal (no sugar) and raisins, and a teaspoon of olive oil.

Any thoughts, I tried to read this thread again, but my brain can't take the more involved parts in right now. Thank you. :hug:

Hi, @snowathlete how did it go?

It was a little while ago now but basically it didn't do anything to help me so I stopped taking it.

Jennifer J

I'm type I diabetic in addition to having M.E. and those sound exactly like hypoglycemia symptoms. It's not reactive hypoglycemia in the sense a doctor would expect it to occur but will feel the same.

The Ribose will take effect much faster than your oatmeal gets into your bloodstream. Three questions before I give any opinion:
  1. After you have slept does you have any new symptoms? E.g. feeling sweaty, headache, anything else?
  2. How do you generally react to small amounts of carbohydrate?
  3. Do you have any food intolerances that rapidly affect how you feel?

HI, @Leopardtail. Thank you for responding to my post. Sorry you have type I diabetes. :(

I'm rather foggy right now so can't write too easily.

Answers to your questions.

1. Didn't notice any new symptoms. Maybe? Have been feeling sweaty lately when sleeping and at other times. I know it's not a female change of life thing.

2. Generally react fine to small amounts of carbs. Sometimes I feel immediately sleepy and out of it after eating. Not sure though, when I read it affects you hours later, how that registers with me. I'll have to pay attention.

3. Yes, but the reaction is an angioedema allergic type reaction or bloating.

How long does it take for oatmeal to get in the bloodstream? I was under the impression that ribose can be taken while eating oatmeal or taken right after.

Thanks for your help. :)

In regards to the damage I have lots more heat and burning symptoms.

Sorry to hear this. :(

@MeSci, thank you. :hug: I want to say more. Hopefully can another day when it's easier to respond.

@snowathlete, thank you.

Jennifer J

rosie26 said:
In regards to the damage I have lots more heat and burning symptoms.

Just want to repeat that it may not have been the ribose that caused it. Just not sure and will play safe by not taking it anymore.

All the best with the ribose Jennifer.

Opps, @rosie26, sorry, I ought to have included your whole reply (below) when I quoted it to avoid any misunderstanding for anyone reading this. Thank you. :)

Oops, I shouldn't say long term damage when I am not sure if it was the ribose but I just don't feel comfortable taking it anymore. In regards to the damage I have lots more heat and burning symptoms.

Last edited:

Leopardtail

Jennifer,
I've re-ordered your answer in the order you need to deal with them. Please deal with them one at once and in order.

HI, @Leopardtail. Thank you for responding to my post. Sorry you have type I diabetes. :(

I'm rather foggy right now so can't write too easily.

Answers to your questions.
3. Yes, but the reaction is an angioedema allergic type reaction or bloating.
Since angioedema affects mucous lined tissues, that includes your bowels. Ribose is fantastic for many, but awful for those allergic to it. Put a tiny dusting of the powder onto your little finger and dab it inside your bottom lip.

Should you get even the slightest burning / tingling / swelling then you must avoid it as you may be allergic.
If that reaction occurs you may also be allergic to sweet corn and it's derivatives. Corn flour / Maize / Corn syrup are in lots of products and this possibility should be discussed with your GP.

1. Didn't notice any new symptoms. Maybe? Have been feeling sweaty lately when sleeping and at other times. I know it's not a female change of life thing.
Being hot and sweaty is a potential hypoglycemia symptom, more so if you are any of these are the same time:
  1. waking up,
  2. feeling negative emotion (anger/anxiety/fear)
  3. In a dream like state
  4. Unable to focus / think straight
Try eating some protein at night (e.g. a sausage, or an small bit of chicken), or if that doesn't work a small
amount of something high fibre / with oats (no more than 10-20g of carbohydrate).

2. Generally react fine to small amounts of carbs. Sometimes I feel immediately sleepy and out of it after eating. Not sure though, when I read it affects you hours later, how that registers with me. I'll have to pay attention.

How long does it take for oatmeal to get in the bloodstream? I was under the impression that ribose can be taken while eating oatmeal or taken right after.

Thanks for your help. :)
I just mentioned the diabetes because it gives me a better handle on the blood sugar stuff, compared to the ME it's a doddle.

Feeling sleepy after carbs is normal, the body uses the same hormone (Cortisol) to signal wakefulness, and lack of carbs.

Continue reading if all went well with the quick test above.

Okay a bit about oats and Ribose.
  1. Ribose is derived by the body from glucose, and in need the body can convert it back (wasteful).
  2. Oats are a better carb, because they have a very low glycemic index. This means they convert to glucose very slowly and last longer.
  3. Ribose needs Insulin in your blood to work (hence other carbs needed to stimulate Insulin).
  4. On first use Ribose can improve how Insulin works (hence other carbs needed to avoid low blood sugar).
Because oats break down so slowly, I would be inclined the first three days to add a teaspoon of honey (less of a sugar rush than white sugar) or a cane sugar if you can't tolerate honey. That will prime your system for the Ribose.

Take the Ribose after breakfast and ideally by putting it under your tongue (more into the blood stream, less into the bowels).

If that goes well, It has a short half-life so smaller amounts several times a day work better. Avoid near bed time unless you are also taking herbal sleep remedies.

Side effects

Intensified tied but wired is not unusual in the first three weeks if your bodies stress response is improved and it's fixing things. You may also get mild flu symptoms if you are carrying infections (called a Herxheimer reaction). If these are severe, there is burning, or last more than a couple of weeks, stop the Ribose. For me this started after a week, and tapered off over a week (I was shifting a long standing cold).

If your body needs rest / sleep it can make you very drowsy until your body has caught up and healed, however this sleep should be more effective and restful than before, otherwise a warning sign.

If no effect

If you see no effect (rare) you may be lacking Vitamin B3, Vitamin B2, or Co-Q10.

Last edited:
I tried D-Ribose last year and took me to a new level of severe ME. Never again.

I am diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia and have a tough carb intolerance. D-Ribose, as I understand a simple sugar, made me feel like death. I'm the first person I'm aware of that had such a bad reaction: it sucked my energy completely, I went from being able to walk a little outside to being bedbound and unable to even walk around the house. And I was taking less than 5g twice per day.

I quit Ribose, came back to ketosis and was able again, at least, to go to doctor's appointments with help. It was the worst reaction I've had to a supplement by far.

outdamnspot

I tried D-Ribose last year and took me to a new level of severe ME. Never again.

I am diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia and have a tough carb intolerance. D-Ribose, as I understand a simple sugar, made me feel like death. I'm the first person I'm aware of that had such a bad reaction: it sucked my energy completely, I went from being able to walk a little outside to being bedbound and unable to even walk around the house. And I was taking less than 5g twice per day.

I quit Ribose, came back to ketosis and was able again, at least, to go to doctor's appointments with help. It was the worst reaction I've had to a supplement by far.

I suspect this may have happened to me. The first three days I took ribose, I had a profound increase in 'agitated' energy. The past two days, I have crashed severely with horrible shortness of breath, diarrhea etc. I already have severe food intolerances. Maybe my body is struggling with it because it's a sugar?

@outdamnspot For me it was an issue for sure. I can't tolerate any sugar so I should have suspected beforehand that this could happen, but I didn't think it could be so bad. The process was exactly as you describe. First and second day increase in "wired" energy and then a super bad crash. For me, the best supplement for energy support has been a reliable source of cordyceps sinensis. It was a big change for me.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
I suspect this may have happened to me. The first three days I took ribose, I had a profound increase in 'agitated' energy. The past two days, I have crashed severely with horrible shortness of breath, diarrhea etc. I already have severe food intolerances. Maybe my body is struggling with it because it's a sugar?

I tried d-ribose approximately 6 years ago. That was back when I was still somewhat active.

I took 3 grams per day for approximately 3 days.

My PEM was greatly and noticeably reduced - however, I felt very odd and very off. Plus, after the second day I began having bouts of diarrhea and cramping. These bouts lasted for 7 days after stopped taking the supplement.

It turns out I am very sensitive to sugar. Once I stopped ingesting simple sugars my daily ibs-d symptoms miraculously went away. That was in 2014.

So in the past couple of weeks I began utilizing simple sugars again, desperately needing some calories, some easy calories.

Bloating, and brain fog are the primary side effects as of right now. And this is for minimal amounts sugar.

I do not tolerate simple carbs, especially potatoes either. I don't know if this helps, but good luck. :)