• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

D-ribose and post-exertional malaise question

I started taking d-ribose a couple days ago and have definitely noticed that I seem to have more energy, maybe similar to having extra coffee, but wondering if this will translate to being able to actually do more. In general I limit my coffee to 1 small cup in the morning, as coffee seems to give me energy that gets me in trouble later if I'm not careful...sort of like false confidence.

So for those of you who've taken d-ribose, does it give you a similar boost of energy as coffee, or do you find that it actually allows you to do more without paying the price later? Also, I noticed the extra energy right away, but are the effects of d-ribose cumulative? Meaning, are there additional benefits that might come after taking it for weeks or months?

Thanks!

Frank

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Good question!

I find that the effects of d-ribose are short duration. It lasts for about 4 to 6 hours. Maybe there is a little bit of cumulative effect when I took it long term, but basically if you stop taking it, the boost it provides wears off within a day or two. So I think of it as a very reliable short term booster. It works even better as a "rescue remedy" - where if you start to ache and crash from over-exertion...take a 5gram dose of r-ribose every few hours until you feel better. If you really over do it, a 10g dose.. or 4 x 5g doses.

It also works very nicely in coffee instead of sugar.

If I wake up feeling post-exertional malaise... a nice cup of black coffee with 5g of ribose often makes the world a lot nicer place to be.

CB2, the one I'm taking is from Jarrow but I haven't tried any other brands yet. It's definitely doing something but I can't compare with other brands 'cause this is the first I've tried.

Richard7

I've used the healthy origins ribose and mycology ribose from puritan's pride I cannot discern any difference between them.

Last edited:

rosie26

I get easing of pain in my hands within a hour of taking d-ribose, also I notice a little extra energy which is absolutely great - I can do a bit more. One benefit I was not expecting was that I noticed it eased some nausea as well. With regards to PEM, the little bit of extra available energy ribose gives me, I think lessens a bit of PEM because of less antagonism the exertion triggers.

I take Doctor's Best D-Ribose, 250g powdered form and am happy with it.

Last edited:
It could be a placebo effect but I've tried around 100 supplements and drugs, and D-Ribose seems to be one of the few that makes me feel a tiny little bit better. (I get no positive effect from coffee though, only an elevated heart rate which is no good when you already have a high resting HR.) Please keep this thread going. I'm using different brands.

I have very low intracellular ATP.

@quietjamboree - D-ribose helps with ATP, basically eliminating a step in the energy process. Caffeine in coffee/tea helps with cyclic AMP. Caffeine is also a vasoconstrictor, which might help with low blood volume and also with orthostatic intolerance sometimes found in ME/CFS.

If you are able, I would suggest putting D-ribose in tea or coffee, like Sherpa said. I will caution that you should still have energy to spare before taking caffeine. With regular rest periods, I find caffeine lets me do more; without enough energy, caffeine can become a hindrance.

D-ribose might last 3-4 hours. You can take small bits during the day to keep the effect going. I've heard a claim about D-ribose increasing energy, but I mainly use it for body pain.

I've heard a "loading phase" of 5g 3x/day for 21 days and then 5g 2x/day thereafter can help. I haven't been able to try this, personally, as 15g a day is way too much for me. I seem to have the same good effect at lower dosing.

I would recommend taking D-ribose with or after a meal of complex carbohydrates to help avoid blood sugar crashes. D-ribose will not cause blood sugar to rise but can cause it to drop. The more you take, the larger the dip. So, you might need a counterbalance.

Finally, I'd recommend avoiding the NOW brand. NOW's product can have or develop a chemical smell similar to acetone/paint thinner from the manufacturer's alcohol washing process. One reviewer on Amazon said they threw up after eating it post-chemical smell. I talked to customer service about the issue, but it doesn't look like they are fixing this anytime soon.

I have used Doctor's Best and Sedona Labs brands with no problems. I'm planning on trying Douglas Labs' Corvalen next. I read two posts on Amazon saying it increased energy by 30% as opposed to 10 to 15% of the other brands.

Richard7

Alea,

that point about the caffeine is interesting. I have always taken it for migraines. Well taken it mostly in the form of coffee. I had a period without migraines, well I think it was one mild one in 6 months, where I almost gave up coffee without any intention to do so, I just found that I know longer desired it. Previously it had seemed essential to life. At the beginning of the year I gave up coffee on the advice that it would help reduce my anxiety and as part of a version of autoimmune paleo. What I got was POTS or something very like it. Light headedness was not entirely new but this was an as yet unexplored level of lightheadedness and palpitations. I have been playing around with electrolytes and that has been helping, but it had not occurred to me that the lack of caffeine could be the issue, or rather the thing that lead to a change in symptoms.

With ribose I do of course know the argument about ATP, I wouldn't have taken it otherwise, but I do not know exactly how it changes me, just that I desire it from time to time. Which is exactly the way I took coffee, I had no idea that it was having an impact on my migraines or that my pattern of use showed that until someone told me about research on taking caffeine and paracetamol for migraines about 8 or 9 years ago. The amount of ribose I take has varied from 5-15g this week mostly in 2.5g doses, last week was at the higher end of the range but I was dealing with PEM.