1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

D-Lactate & Panic Disorder

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Koan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Koan

Koan Be the change.

D-Lactate & Panic Disorder - ME/CFS Anxiety

1990:*Gorman J M; Goetz R R; Dillon D; Liebowitz M R; Fyer A J; Davies S; Klein D F
    Sodium D-lactate infusion of panic disorder patients.
    Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology*1990;3(3):181-9.

Nineteen patients with panic disorder received sodium D,L-lactate (racemic) and pure sodium D-lactate infusions in a pilot study. Sodium D-lactate, which is less metabolically active than L-lactate, produced panic attacks in half the patients. D-Lactate also produced hypocapnia and alkalosis, indicating hyperventilation. These findings suggest that metabolism of lactate is not necessary for the induction of panic in susceptible patients. D-Lactate appears similar to other agents that cause panic in its capacity to stimulate respiration in the preliminary study.

See more popular forum discussions.