AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

D-Lactate & Panic Disorder

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by MEKoan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. MEKoan

MEKoan Senior Member

D-Lactate & Panic Disorder - ME/CFS Anxiety

1990:*Gorman J M; Goetz R R; Dillon D; Liebowitz M R; Fyer A J; Davies S; Klein D F
    Sodium D-lactate infusion of panic disorder patients.
    Neuropsychopharmacology : official publication of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology*1990;3(3):181-9.

Nineteen patients with panic disorder received sodium D,L-lactate (racemic) and pure sodium D-lactate infusions in a pilot study. Sodium D-lactate, which is less metabolically active than L-lactate, produced panic attacks in half the patients. D-Lactate also produced hypocapnia and alkalosis, indicating hyperventilation. These findings suggest that metabolism of lactate is not necessary for the induction of panic in susceptible patients. D-Lactate appears similar to other agents that cause panic in its capacity to stimulate respiration in the preliminary study.

See more popular forum discussions.