1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

D lactate and fatigue/lethargy

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by snapper, May 3, 2012.

1. snapper

snapper

Hi everyone. I am not a ME/CFS sufferer but I feel compelled to share my experience with someone in case it is of value.

I have experienced bouts of heavy fatigue, especially in the morning, and very unrefreshing sleep. I recently discovered that this is very likely occurring after I have a probiotic (advertised as high strength) with organisms that produce d-lactate. I found information on this site and elsewhere about the posited connection beteen d-lactate and CFS symptoms.

Fortunately, the fatigue that I experience is transient, lifting even throughout the day, although I feel absolutely awful the whole day and more. I experienced transient diarrhea the following day, further suggesting the probiotic was the cause. Although it is transient, it is a deep lethargy/fatigue. I can imagine what it is like to have this on an ongoing basis because I suffered CFS symptoms twenty years ago for about three months. Fortunately, for whatever reason, they disappeared and didn't return.

I am thinking about self-experimenting by taking another of these probiotics to see whether it induces the same fatigue again. I won't do so for a while, though, because the next day is just awful.

S

taniaaust1 likes this.
  2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Thank you for sharing this experience. D-lactate is a potential bad actor and probably one very good reason to avoid certain probiotics. Metametrix offers several tests that measure urinary D-lactate. One of them is the Organix Dysbiosis Profile.

3. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

what,s the probiotic?

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Interesting post. thanks

See more popular forum discussions.