1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

D lactate and fatigue/lethargy

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by snapper, May 3, 2012.

1. snapper

snapper

Hi everyone. I am not a ME/CFS sufferer but I feel compelled to share my experience with someone in case it is of value.

I have experienced bouts of heavy fatigue, especially in the morning, and very unrefreshing sleep. I recently discovered that this is very likely occurring after I have a probiotic (advertised as high strength) with organisms that produce d-lactate. I found information on this site and elsewhere about the posited connection beteen d-lactate and CFS symptoms.

Fortunately, the fatigue that I experience is transient, lifting even throughout the day, although I feel absolutely awful the whole day and more. I experienced transient diarrhea the following day, further suggesting the probiotic was the cause. Although it is transient, it is a deep lethargy/fatigue. I can imagine what it is like to have this on an ongoing basis because I suffered CFS symptoms twenty years ago for about three months. Fortunately, for whatever reason, they disappeared and didn't return.

I am thinking about self-experimenting by taking another of these probiotics to see whether it induces the same fatigue again. I won't do so for a while, though, because the next day is just awful.

S

taniaaust1 likes this.
  2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Thank you for sharing this experience. D-lactate is a potential bad actor and probably one very good reason to avoid certain probiotics. Metametrix offers several tests that measure urinary D-lactate. One of them is the Organix Dysbiosis Profile.

3. aquariusgirl

aquariusgirl Senior Member

what,s the probiotic?

4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Interesting post. thanks

See more popular forum discussions.