Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

D-Aspartic Acid?

Discussion in 'Hormones' started by SwanRonson, Jan 24, 2015.

1. SwanRonson

SwanRonson Senior Member

Alabama
    Has anyone used D-Aspartic Acid to raise testosterone? Three grams per day supposedly raised free testosterone by 40% based on the studies referenced in this report. I really don't understand what he's saying about excitotoxins and NMDA though.

2. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I've used it for that purpose. The theory is that it raises LH, which in turn should cause the testes to produce more testosterone. What I noticed, however is that my total T was pretty consistent even when my LH was higher or lower. Also, I've read that it's only effective for 3-4 weeks at a time.

I think creatine is supposed to counter the effect on the NMDA issue.

SwanRonson and Tunguska like this.
  3. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

Did very little I could feel on its own and wasn't willing to try higher doses (anecdotal reports of terrible side effects).

I tried it for the NMDA agonism (clearer thinking) but it was nowhere near sarcosine on that.

SwanRonson likes this.
  4. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    That is something I would highly avoid, given the neuroexcitotoxicity halo that anything aspartate related raises. Indeed, there are reports of long lasting negative effects.

And anyway, free testosterone enhancing supps/foods/activities is what you want testosterone-wise. Total testosterone means nothing to me, with my high total T and pathetic free test I have like 5% of the libido I had pre-illness.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    halcyon and SwanRonson like this.
  5. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Yeah, I just got my levels done. As of 2 weeks ago my total T was 636, and free T was 11.7, within reference range, but low end.

6. SwanRonson

SwanRonson Senior Member

Alabama
    Any recommendations? The only thing I could come up with outside of TRT was a mild increase with b vitamins and zinc.

7. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

8. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

I don't remember the numbers because I didn't care at the time, but I can say 50mg time-release zinc gluconate + eggs (soft-boiled preferable) kept my libido going while everything else was utterly broken, and I notice they still do when I start/stop. Boron might help noticeably the first time you take it if you never have, then dissipates. From the list above I also took vit D and grape seed extract I wasn't aware related to T.

See more popular forum discussions.