1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cytokines across the Night in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with and without Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by shrewsbury, May 6, 2010.

1. shrewsbury

shrewsbury member

Cytokines across the Night in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome with and without Fibromyalgia

[sb: I couldn't find this posted anywhere. Broderick's latest is with Klimas' cohort I think]

Toru Nakamura,1,2 Stephan K. Schwander,3* Robert Donnelly,3 Felix Ortega,3 Fumiharu Togo,4 Gordon Broderick,5 Yoshiharu Yamamoto,6 Neil S. Cherniack,1,3,{dagger} David Rapoport,7 and Benjamin H. Natelson1,2*

Pain & Fatigue Study Center,1 Departments of Neurosciences,2 Medicine, UMDNJNew Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103,3 Department of Work Stress Control, Japan National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, Kawasaki 214-8585, Japan,4 Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada,5 Educational Physiology Laboratory, Graduate School of Education, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan,6 Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, NYU School of Medicine, New York, New York 100167

Received 22 September 2009/ Returned for modification 4 November 2009/ Accepted 12 February 2010

The symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) are consistent with cytokine dysregulation. This has led to the hypothesis of immune dysregulation as the cause of this illness. To further test this hypothesis, we did repeated blood sampling for cytokines while patients and matched healthy controls slept in the sleep lab. Because no one method for assaying cytokines is acknowledged to be better than another, we assayed for protein in serum, message in peripheral blood lymphocytes (PBLs), and function in resting and stimulated PBLs. We found no evidence of proinflammatory cytokine upregulation. Instead, in line with some of our earlier studies, we did find some evidence to support a role for an increase in interleukin-10, an anti-inflammatory cytokine. Although the changes were small, they may contribute to the common complaint in CFS patients of disrupted sleep.

Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, April 2010, p. 582-587, Vol. 17, No. 4
    1071-412X/10/$12.00+0 doi:10.1128/CVI.00379-09
    Copyright 2010, American Society for Microbiology. All Rights Reserved.

2. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    Could anyone hazzard a guess as to wether this increase in interluken-10 could have any links to night sweats?

3. V99

V99 *****

UK
    Sounds like a novel - Cytokines across the Night

4. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

5. Jerry S

Jerry S Senior Member

Chicago
    :tear::tear::tear:

6. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

This might help

Interleukin-10 (cytokine synthesis inhibitory factor) acts in the central nervous system of rats to reduce sleep.

OPP MR, SMITH EM, HUGHES TK JR.
    J Neuroimmunol 1995;60(1-2):165-8
    Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555-0428, USA

Abstract:

Interleukin-10 (IL-10), originally designated a cytokine synthesis inhibitory factor, inhibits the synthesis of the pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1 and tumor necrosis factor by stimulated human and mouse monocytes/macrophages; these cytokines are involved in the regulation of sleep. To determine if IL-10 reduces spontaneous sleep, we injected murine recombinant IL-10 intracerebroventricularly into rats prior to light onset. Non-rapid eye movements sleep was reduced. The behavioral responses to IL-10 were abolished by heat-inactivation of this cytokine. We believe these to be the first observations of central nervous system actions for this cytokine. These results further support the hypothesis that cytokines are involved in the regulation of sleep, and suggest an additional mechanism whereby sleep may be altered in response to an activated immune system.

7. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    Or a Broadway musical. :)

8. Robin

Robin Guest

It's interesting that the post-extertional cytokine study found that IL-10 decreased in CFS patients after exercise.

9. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    Cheers Gerwyn,

I dont fully understand it, but I get the feeling it hodls up my statement to the Docs that I am convinced the night sweats are linked to an underlying infection, and that the only thing that has helped this has been clarythromycin, which reduces the night sweats dramatically.

It also seems to reduce pelvic inflamation pain as well.
    Another thing is that when i start a round of clarithromycin I am dog tired and sleep like a baby, for 2 or three days, by which time my overall health improves.

10. ramakentesh

ramakentesh Senior Member

Arent interluekins the messenger between the immune system and the automomic nervous system? isnt CFS associated with chronic inflammation? Id wager this small variation was just the result of other mechanisms such as overall sympathetic excess.
    Post exertional malaise in POTS and muscular dystrophy is associated with reduced neuronal nitric oxide - through increased oxidisive stress. Id also wager its the same in CFS

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some info from the full paper

Here's info from the intro:

Given this, I wonder would they find more in a group whose sleep pattern was off, either on that night or overall.

I know a lot of people with ME/CFS who do not sleep like this either regularly, or on "bad" nights:

There were a few findings:

-----

See more popular forum discussions.