Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by AndyPR, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    This shouldn't be a mystery to anyone who follows along with the stuff we discuss on this forum:
    "TGF-β inhibits the activation and functions of NK cells by repressing the mTOR pathway"
    http://stke.sciencemag.org/content/9/415/ra19

What I haven't yet looked into though is looking downstream, what are the transcription factors for TGF-Beta and related proteins?..

Isaiah 58:11, GreyOwl and ljimbo423 like this.
  2. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...uppie-flu-symptoms-treatment-cure-controversy

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    The Express, the Mails dimmer, but slightly less ....., cousin.

Only 6 glaring errors in the snippet posted above, don't think it's worth giving them a click.myself

edit...well I was bored so did click through, the actual article is a bit better but I have to wonder how old some of the bits are- referring to the department of social security which has been the department of work and pensions for years, and years etc.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    AndyPR, Hutan and Snow Leopard like this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Absolutely terrible article - but broadly sympathetic to us and the SMC didn't get a look-in so mustn't grumble I suppose. The standard of complete b******s we have to read in the press is becoming much less offensive these days.

Manganus, AndyPR, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Cort's write-up.
    http://simmaronresearch.com/2017/08...igue-syndrome-mecfs-is-inflammatory-disorder/

6. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    what happened REGARDING pace?

7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
  8. lauluce

argentina
    what happened REGARDING pace?
    how did you found out? is tehre some site or newsletter I'm not aware of? Thanks!

9. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    There are, have been in the last week or 2, several threads on PR about it, unfortunately last night, and now, I am unable, not up to, to find them.

lauluce likes this.
  10. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

lauluce and Wonko like this.
  11. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Nothing new, just another simple article reporting on the paper.
    https://www.medicalnewsbulletin.com/immunologic-component-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

12. lauluce

argentina
  13. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

If @necessary8 ’s excellent hypothesis of a CD39 deficit of some kind is applicable, then the correlation of severity in ME/CFS with inflammatory cytokines as found by Montoya might correspond to the patients’ genotype with respect to ENTPD1, the gene that codes for CD39.

This is because (mRNA) expression of CD39, at least with respect to Tregs, is primarily genetically driven. In fact, a single tag SNP, rs10748643, determines to a large extent the frequency of CD39+ Tregs that a person produces.

In particular, the GG genotype (which produces more CD39+ Tregs) does a much better job of suppressing inflammatory cytokines than AA:

CD39 SNP results.png

Reference: The expression of CD39 on regulatory T cells is genetically driven and further upregulated at sites of inflammation (Full text here.)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    kelly8, pattismith and Murph like this.
  14. necessary8

necessary8

This is a great find @nandixon I would be very interested in seeing if Ron found any alterations to this gene in his severly ill study, as he did full genome sequencing there.

nandixon likes this.
  15. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member

There have been reports of one genetic mutation turning up in all the severely ill patients. I guess it's covered in the Open Medicine Foundation’s Community Symposium, “Molecular Basis of ME/CFS”.

See more popular forum discussions.