• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Yup. It's also mentioned in the literature as being elevated in worms who are in dauer, for what it's worth. ;)

Worms again?

I liked the CFS=Vampirism theory. :whistle:

The Telegraph might want to run this by the proofreader again...:)

Can someone please write a comment telling them that slurs/insults are NOT APPROPRIATE IN HEADLINES!!!!!!!

I mean you don't put slurs in articles about other minority groups, so why us?

Demepivo

Dolores Abernathy
The picture in the New Scientist shows Ed Sykes of the SMC after reading the story

gettyimages-185746185.jpg

Forbin

Science Media Centre disagrees. No surprise here.

The fact that they completely ignore the central finding - that multiple cytokine levels trend with illness severity - is pretty telling.

Seventeen cytokines had a statistically significant upward linear trend that correlated with ME/CFS severity: CCL11 (Eotaxin-1), CXCL1 (GROα), CXCL10 (IP-10), IFN-γ, IL-4, IL-5, IL-7, IL-12p70, IL-13, IL-17F, leptin, G-CSF, GM-CSF, LIF, NGF, SCF, and TGF-α.

Last edited:

snowathlete

STAT: Blood markers of chronic fatigue syndrome could pave the way to a diagnostic test
Overall, people with CSF only had two cytokines that significantly differed in quantity compared to healthy controls. However, when researchers divided people with CSF into mild, moderate, and severe groups, they found that the levels of 17 cytokines increased with increasing severity of the disorder. Thirteen of these cytokines were proinflammatory, meaning they cause inflammation in the body. The results were published Monday in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The Telegraph: "Yuppie flu" an inflammatory disease which blood test could easily diagnose, say scientist
Researchers at the
Stanford University School of Medicine discovered that people suffering the symptoms of CFS show spikes in 17 proteins produced by the immune system. The bigger the rises, the more severe the condition.

"Leptin tells the stomach when the brain is full"
No wonder some people are always hungry!
:rofl::rofl::cry::cry:

edit: Ah, I see @Forbin has already spotted the error.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
The timing of this couldn't be worse for the BPS crew, who are probably planning a media onslaught for tomorrow, when suddenly a science article in the Telegraph overnight doesn't even give them a mention.

And the SMC should be delighted at this good news for CFS sufferers in the UK, but no, they clearly demonstrate once again that they are merely a psychosocial lobby group. Even the dimmest journalist must be able to see through them by now, surely?

Kati

Patient in training
i ask in a post earlier about proinflamatory citokines..nobody answers,maybe here i have some more luck..is really no way to lower this pro inflamatory citokines?..literally all my symptoms that i have now are caused by inflamation..i don 't think i ahve any problems with oxygen use,mithocondria or aerobic,anaerobic systems ..i can run longer and faster than most people of my age..So i guess my fatigue and the other symptoms must be caused by chronic inflamation..Doctors in my country are unaware of me/cfs,,When i told him about chronic inflamation he told me that with my normal crp,esr ,fibronogen and complete blood count and immunoglobins all good i will just spend money for nothing doing the citokine panels...cause they will come back normal..
Hi @notmyself everybody is in the same boat. This study is fresh from today.

We do not know if this inflammation is the cause or the effect or something else.

People's bloodwork that you mentioned (ESR, CRP, etc) are usually normal. The regular doctors and the regular labs will not be able to perform cytokines, or to interpret them, or even to offer a line of treatment. There are no approved treatments.

The next step is more research and utilise all the knowledge that science has to offer. The work from Open Medicine Foundation is very hopeful and there are many other teams who are making great strides as well.

Hang in there, support research and fingers crossed we can have answers soon.

P.S. Separating your text in many paragraphs eases the reading for those of us who have cognitive issues.

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
"Leptin tells the stomach when the brain is full"
No wonder some people are always hungry!
:rofl::rofl::cry::cry:

edit: Ah, I see @Forbin has already spotted the error.

I think it may not be a mistake. The vagus tells the brain when the stomach is full. The brain being full is a different matter (satiety) and it needs to tell the stomach as well - to empty if necessary.

adreno

PR activist
Last edited:
Science Media Centre disagrees. No surprise here.

I'm now pretty instinctively in favour of criticising all research as much a possible, but I've got to note that Cleare was rather less sceptical with FITNET five years ago:

Professor Anthony Cleare, a consultant psychiatrist at the Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, said that although the effectiveness of cognitive behavioural therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome was beyond doubt, the lack of suitably trained therapists could limit benefits for patients.

“That an internet based therapy is so effective is very good news for patients who either cannot access a therapist, or who prefer therapy delivered over the internet,” Professor Cleare said. “Indeed, the internet may be a particularly attractive medium for adolescents who have grown up accustomed to using it regularly.

"No one would suggest that the internet can replace face-to-face therapy, but this study suggests that it can certainly be a highly effective alternative in some patients.”

https://theconversation.com/online-treatment-reaps-rewards-for-teenagers-with-chronic-fatigue-5652

mfairma

My wife just forwarded from a friend the Science article in which my story makes up the first paragraph, which was a surprise.

While the writer of the Science article apparently talked to my mom some time ago, I would have preferred to have had a chance to speak directly if I was going to be written about. Brevity necessitates paraphrasing, but that lead in leaves out a crucial detail, which is sudden onset following protracted giardiasis, and implies others.

That irritates me a bit, but I'm more irritated that we're still in the, "Hey, Look! This study provides the first real proof the disease is real and patients aren't crazy" phase, which we never seem to leave.

My wife just forwarded from a friend the Science article in which my story makes up the first paragraph, which was a surprise.

While the writer of the Science article apparently talked to my mom some time ago, I would have preferred to have had a chance to speak directly if I was going to be written about. Brevity necessitates paraphrasing, but that lead in leaves out a crucial detail, which is sudden onset following protracted giardiasis, and implies others.

That irritates me a bit, but I'm more irritated that we're still in the, "Hey, Look! This study provides the first real proof the disease is real and patients aren't crazy" phase, which we never seem to leave.

I didn't think that there was any problem with that brief intro on you. I can understand that it probably feels a bit odd for you though, and it does feel a bit like your story is just tacked on at the start.