Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by AndyPR, Jul 31, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

Full access at http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2017/07/25/1710519114.full

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    STAT: Blood markers of chronic fatigue syndrome could pave the way to a diagnostic test
    Overall, people with CSF only had two cytokines that significantly differed in quantity compared to healthy controls. However, when researchers divided people with CSF into mild, moderate, and severe groups, they found that the levels of 17 cytokines increased with increasing severity of the disorder. Thirteen of these cytokines were proinflammatory, meaning they cause inflammation in the body. The results were published Monday in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

The Telegraph: "Yuppie flu" an inflammatory disease which blood test could easily diagnose, say scientist
    Researchers at the
    Stanford University School of Medicine discovered that people suffering the symptoms of CFS show spikes in 17 proteins produced by the immune system. The bigger the rises, the more severe the condition.

L'engle, merylg, ahimsa and 27 others like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

4. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

i ask in a post earlier about proinflamatory citokines..nobody answers,maybe here i have some more luck..is really no way to lower this pro inflamatory citokines?..literally all my symptoms that i have now are caused by inflamation..i don 't think i ahve any problems with oxygen use,mithocondria or aerobic,anaerobic systems ..i can run longer and faster than most people of my age..So i guess my fatigue and the other symptoms must be caused by chronic inflamation..Doctors in my country are unaware of me/cfs,,When i told him about chronic inflamation he told me that with my normal crp,esr ,fibronogen and complete blood count and immunoglobins all good i will just spend money for nothing doing the citokine panels...cause they will come back normal..

merylg and Luther Blissett like this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

6. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Full free text: Cytokine signature associated with disease severity in chronic fatigue syndrome patients

Note Mark Davis of Stanford is the senior author, and it's PNAS, which is one of the very top journals, which should help generate interest. Well, the media uptake suggests it has, not least the Science New piece (a v well respected and high profile source of news for researchers). More clues link immune system imbalance with chronic fatigue syndrome | Science | AAAS

And just to make my day, they did it properly, correcting for the fact that they made many comparisons (which makes chance associations much more likely). See below:

P values shown are for the significance of the linear trend. Only statistically significant linear trends adjusted for multiple comparisons (P < 0.05) are shown.

pnas-montoya-cytokines-2017.jpg
    (from powerpoint slide provided by PNAS so presumably fine to show here).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  7. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Stanford Medicine: Blood test: Scientists crack code of chronic fatigue syndrome's inflammatory underpinnings

“I have seen the horrors of this disease, multiplied by hundreds of patients,” Montoya told me in a conversation about the study. “It’s been observed and talked about for 35 years now, sometimes with the onus of being described as a psychological condition. But chronic fatigue syndrome is by no means a figment of the imagination. This is real.”

merylg, lemonworld, PennyIA and 26 others like this.
  8. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Oh dear, yet another promising study fails replication.

9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    :( I'm going to take heart from the fact there was a replication! And with only n=30 it would be harder for the findings to replicate. But still.

PennyIA, aimossy, Solstice and 8 others like this.
  10. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Yeah, they do acknowledge low power in the Discussion.

mango, Simon, aimossy and 9 others like this.
  11. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

so the studies stating that the immune system is overactive in the beggining and become exhausted after around three years is not necesarry real..i'm actually happy about that :)

12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

They say their inability to confirm changes due to illness duration may be due to that fact that they had fewer patients overall [186 vs 298] and fewer patients ill less than 3 years [30 vs 52].

[The longer than 3 years patients would have been 156 vs 246.]

aimossy, Solstice, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

TGF-β keeps coming up.

Wikipedia says

Is elevated TGF-β an attempt to stop autoimmunity?

Oh and it also suppresses NK cells:
    Regulation of NK cell functions by TGF-beta 1.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7636180

That could explain why reduced NK cell function also keeps coming up.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  14. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    Is this article consistent with Dr Montoya's prior studies of herpes virus and treatment with antivirals like Valcyte?

I.e., does it support the notion that herpes virus infection could be the cause of the disease for some patients and treated effectively with antivirals?

As far as I can see (with very low knowledge of medicine), the article says that you'd expect some of the markers go up in case of infection, but it doesn't directly address Montoya's prior research on herpes virus.

Luther Blissett and MEMum like this.
  15. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    Promising, based on what I've read so far, in common with everything else that seems to have happened today.

Pretty sure it's probably all a dream so looking forward to the cure being released tomorrow.

Come on, PACE debunking, this, in one day......can't be happening

lauluce, PennyIA, dangermouse and 6 others like this.
  16. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Indeed it does. It's the sixth study so far and the only consistent cytokine finding. I don't much care for these cytokine studies, but I'm starting to pay more attention to TGF-β!

I don't much care for the severity associations (how did they correct for multiple comparisons...), I don't think many if any of them will replicate.

17. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

The Telegraph might want to run this by the proofreader again...:)

ryan31337, slysaint, Mel9 and 26 others like this.
  18. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

so you belive something else is the main cause of symptoms?

Luther Blissett likes this.
  19. Webdog

Webdog Nothing left to say

Science Media Centre disagrees. No surprise here.

20. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Yup. It's also mentioned in the literature as being elevated in worms who are in dauer, for what it's worth. ;)

Same here, I just ignore these sorts of studies. None of them ever seem to replicate.

JaimeS, simeyss, Valentijn and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.