• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cytokine effects

Ivana

hi all

sorry if this question has been asked before.. But what are the symptoms of cytokines? I get neurological problems, followe by a feeling of being freezing cold, then muscle pain, then overwhelming fatigue which puts me out for ages. Ive been told these are the effects of cytokines and that ldn will help. Willl it? Also, what does increased il-8 and decreased tgf beta1 mean?

xrunner

Not sure.
However, in this talk http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nfectious-disease-syndrome.17676/#post-269445
Dr Horowitz explains cytokines and things that help reduce inflammation. The talk is about Lyme disease but the concepts apply beyond that.
He says that shutting down NF-kB (a kind of switch in the nucleus of the cell, if I got this right...) helps reduce cytokines production and inflammation. At some point, he talked about LDN also for pain and neurological issues (I think).

Seven7

Seven
which Cytokines specifically? as I understand they do different things. I have IL2b, IL10 high, rest is normal.
TnfI and TNFII low and very low.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
IL6 is a commonly elevated inflammatory cytokine in cfs and is linked to sleep dysfunction. DHEA is suppose to be effective to some degree against IL6.

alex3619

Cytokine research is very complicated. One of the issues is we still don't have a complete picture of what they are or how they work. We know a lot, but we keep learning more. Cytokine research is mostly a modern science, and still growing. I gave up trying to get a good grasp of cytokines in about 2002 when it became apparent that I would have to spend hundreds of hours going through arcane journals to understand even a few of them. There was no convenient overview that was anything like right. Decent textbooks on this didn't exist back then, although they might now as I have not looked. A cytokine researcher will have taken the time to do that background reading, and grappled with the subject in experiments. If you can find a good text on this it might answer some of your questions, though its also likely to be difficult to understand unless you have a good background in molecular biology. Bye, Alex