Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cyclophosphamide in ME/CFS Part A:an Open Label Phase-II Study With Six Intravenous Cyclophosphamide

Discussion in 'Rituximab: News and Research' started by deleder2k, May 27, 2015.

1. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    In the patent application paper they stated that most of the patients already received all six infusions at the time of writing but off course figures may change. I wanted to try cyclo because I was under the impression that cyclo is more effective than rituximab and it is the only affordable option for me. I was waiting for IACFSME to see some statistics since the publication of the trial has been postponed.

2. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I was curious, when you said that cyclo is more effective than RTX, do you mean for traditional ME/CFS symptoms or for reducing auto-antibodies (in someone with known antibodies)?

3. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

These drugs are being trialled in traditionally defined ME/CFS (diagnosis by symptom checklists, no lab tests).

However as far as I know CTX is also used in severe autoimmune diseases like lupus which must mean it depletes the antibodies or does something else to reduce the immune attack on self.

Sancar, melihtas and Gingergrrl like this.
  4. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    When they published the results of the cyclo pilot study with 3 patients they said some patients didn't respond to rituximab responded to cyclo and average response time is shorter than rituximab. That is why I got the impression that cyclo was more effective for treating ME/CFS symptoms.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Is CTX another name for Cyclo? I assume that it what you meant and if they are using it in Lupus patients, is Cyclo/CTX reducing the lupus antibodies or is this info not yet known?

Do you mean that the entire cyclo study only had three patients in it or just three responders of a bigger group? I apologize that I have not been able to read this entire thread yet.

6. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    Before the current study with 40 patients they did a small pilot study with 3 patients.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Yes I just meant that I don't know what it does specifically in lupus, I'm not saying that the info isn't known.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  8. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Yup, that is correct, but my understanding is that quite a few patients responded a while after their last infusion, but I can't confirm this 100% as of now.

RL_sparky and melihtas like this.
  9. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

From reading the document it describes only two patients in detail from the latest study and also the 3 pilot patients.

So the 35% may not be fully representative.

But there is definitely a large unknown associated with CTX.

While it may hopefully present a treatment option, for me I am hoping it can lead to more understanding of the disease.
    If they can figure out the difference between the patients who don't respond to RTX and those who respond to CTX and also the non responders i imagine it will lead to a greater understanding of the disease and of RTX treatment too.

The only problem might be that CTX is so destructive it might be difficult to decipher exactly how it works in ME.

But it's another avenue to investigate and seeing as we dont have many, its very significant.

MEMum, Gingergrrl and Sancar like this.
  10. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    This is a noteworthy result from the pilot study

Gingergrrl, Sancar, Webdog and 2 others like this.
  11. MEMum

MEMum Senior Member

Prof Mella said at IiME that the study will end in July 2017, so hopefully we will hear before the end of the year. Some people are in remission. They will be continuing with Cyclophosphamide, in different doses/cycles and also probably other immune modulating drugs. He said that it would be surprising if the first or second drug trialled by them ends up being the best one for treating ME....

12. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Cyclo probably needs to be taken with something else for best effect, I would think. Seems to be the case for most diseases where cause is not pretty well illuminated.

Gingergrrl and Sancar like this.
  13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Are there any studies where someone did Cyclo and IVIG together? Sorry if this is already posted and I missed it! I'll be doing Ritux and IVIG together and followed closely (but am not part of any official study).

Sancar likes this.
  14. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Nope.. :) That sounds pretty promising.

Sancar and Gingergrrl like this.
  15. Frenchguy

Frenchguy

Anyone have news ?

16. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

We only know that someone has gotten better. Some got worse. Worse than one would expect for individuals with cancer. They've started phase B of the study, but I think only 3 patients have been treated.

To my understanding part A will be published after the RTX study. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

We will have to wait and see :)

MEMum, ukxmrv and pattismith like this.
  17. Frenchguy

Frenchguy

Thks Deleder, if they have started partB, in my understanding, 40% of ppl in part A have a great response ?

Murph likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.