• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cutting tramadol sr tablets??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I know some slow release tabs are effected by being cut and some arent as they are made to disolve slowly. Anyway i use a 200mg SR tablet for back pain but sometimes its not enought to get me through the day and need a top up, so i was thinking instead of getting a presciption for a lower dosage pill as well it would be easier to cut the stronger pills into 1/4, not that 50mg slow release or immediate release would make a difference, but does anyone know if it is effected?? Hopefully a short term thing for a couple of months until i can get a procedure done for my back which has beeen successful in the past but its not effective for longer then 12 months.

cheers!!!

john66

I think the sustained release part is dependent on stomach acidity, so if it is a tablet, breaking it shouldnt matter all that much. What procedure are you going to get done??

heapsreal

lumber facet joint ablation where they burn the nerve to the facet joints causing the problem in my lumbar spine which are severly arthritic, problem is the nerves to grow back and suppose to last 12 months. I got 7 months out of it but it does reduce pain considerably and good to be off a few pills for awhile.

liquid sky

Any pill that has SR or ER has a coating to allow the pill to dissolve over a time period, sometimes as long as 12 hours. Once you break the pill, the dosage can be released all at once. So, if you broke a 200 mg. pill into 4 pieces, you would get 50 mg. at one time. Depends if you want it to be time released or not.

On the other hand, I have a sister who gets the nerve ablations in her lumbar spine. She says they are quite painful during the procedure, so I have been scared away. Are yours painful also? I wonder if her doctor is just not careful enough.

heapsreal

Any pill that has SR or ER has a coating to allow the pill to dissolve over a time period, sometimes as long as 12 hours. Once you break the pill, the dosage can be released all at once. So, if you broke a 200 mg. pill into 4 pieces, you would get 50 mg. at one time. Depends if you want it to be time released or not.

On the other hand, I have a sister who gets the nerve ablations in her lumbar spine. She says they are quite painful during the procedure, so I have been scared away. Are yours painful also? I wonder if her doctor is just not careful enough.

The actual procedure of burning the nerves isnt painful as they inject local anaesthetic into the nerve, but testing to see if they have the needle in the nerve can be painful, sort of recreates the pain of when u have a muscle spasm attack but it only lasts a very short time and is only to make sure the needles are correctly placed. And only happens when they put a small electric current through the needle which is very brief.But its worth going through the short term pain to get long term relief.

cheers!!!