• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cutler Mercury Chelation Poll

I have tried the Cutler frequent low dose chelation protocol for mercury or other toxic metals:

• I am in effective remission (80%+)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Major Improvement

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Moderate improvement

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Minor improvement

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No change

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Minor crash

• Moderate crash

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Major crash

• Unable to continue protocol

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Johnmac

The fact that you have no thiol reactions and actually feel better during chelation strongly suggests to me that you are not suffering effects of mercury. Your hypothesis that this might be a euphoric reaction to an antioxidant might have merit.

My guess is that the euphoria is just a reaction to ALA - it does that to me sometimes too.

But if chelation's the thing that has made you feel better the most, in an overall way, that would suggest it's getting metals out, as metals screw up everything, & everything improves when they leave.

Short-tempered the day coming off it supports that view, IMO (day-after redistribution - noted in just about everyone who chelates HMs).

Urine-mercury tests before a round and during would tell you more.

Johnmac

Yep, thiol symptoms are pretty much mercury symptoms.

No, the thiol effects worsened over time - till I began the SMP: then they vanished for 3 years. Now they're back: go figure.

I share your skepticism re the present state of knowledge of SNPs. I tried a few Yasko remedies for mine: nothing changed. "Not ready for prime time" is a nice way of describing the science right now. I'm sure some have benefited, but I doubt if people generally can be diagnosed & treated in a reliable way.

The fact that you have thiol reactions (I do too) really does suggest some involvement of mercury doesn't it?

Did the extent of the thiol reactions decrease over time?

In my case I have a sulfur food sensitivity as well, which Cutler would explain as single thiols that do not bind tightly to mercury, but do move it around. I have tested both my sulfite and sulfate after eating sulfur foods, and neither one gets high. So I do not believe my genetic defects around these conversions is involved here.

Can someone explain why methylation defects would affect thiol reactions?

I went through the whole analysis of my genome, and my impression after three different practitioners is that none of this is ready for prime time. Practitioners look at these defects and then make wild guesses about how to fix them, with no accurate measurements to determine if the correction is overdose or underdose. It all looks like scam medicine to me, intent on hooking the patient into long courses of very expensive medical care and supplements.

I was taking 40 pills a day to correct all of my defects and these made me intensely ILL. All of my pituitary hormones went sky high, and my body simply went into a very unhealthy ramping up of my metabolism that left me feeling no better at all. I had an allopath take me off all supplements cold turkey, and over a six month period my body gradually ramped down its hormone levels. I definitely feel better without supplements and without treating my methylation defects.

pemone

Urine-mercury tests before a round and during would tell you more.

Agree on testing before a round, but do you think the best time to measure effect of the chelator is a few days into the chelation cycle, or better to wait until the end?

pemone

No, the thiol effects worsened over time - till I began the SMP: then they vanished for 3 years. Now they're back: go figure.

I share your skepticism re the present state of knowledge of SNPs. I tried a few Yasko remedies for mine: nothing changed. "Not ready for prime time" is a nice way of describing the science right now. I'm sure some have benefited, but I doubt if people generally can be diagnosed & treated in a reliable way.

Do you have any guesses about which of your specific SNP issues the SMP addressed that fixed your reactions to thiols?

Johnmac

Agree on testing before a round, but do you think the best time to measure effect of the chelator is a few days into the chelation cycle, or better to wait until the end?

I don't know, but my guess is that further into the round you would have more Hg coming out. If true, you have the best reading. If not true, you haven't lost anything.

Johnmac

Do you have any guesses about which of your specific SNP issues the SMP addressed that fixed your reactions to thiols?

Sorry, absolutely no clue. I don't know a lot about SNPs. I assumed at the time that methylfolate was the cause of the improvement.

Also, the thiol effects came back after 2-3 years (even tho I was on the Freddd Protocol, which also has methylfolate) - tho this time I was on a high dose of ALA (300mg).

Last edited:

pemone

Sorry, absolutely no clue. I don't know a lot about SNPs. I assumed at the time that methylfolate was the cause of the improvement.

Also, the thiol effects came back after 2-3 years (even tho I was on the Freddd Protocol, which also has methylfolate) - tho this time I was on a high dose of ALA (300mg).

I've never met anyone who was "cured" by any methylation protocol. The typical profile of people who do this is very sick before, and very sick after. I never see anyone claiming more than a minor change or alleviation of symptoms.

You take 300 mg of ALA every few hours under the Cutler protocol? That is a phenomenally high amount of ALA to absorb. Did you do any specific mercury testing before and during ALA rounds to justify such an enormous dose?

Last edited:

Johnmac

I've never met anyone who was "cured" by any methylation protocol. The typical profile of people who do this is very sick before, and very sick after. I never see anyone claiming more than a minor change or alleviation of symptoms.

You take 300 mg of ALA very few hours under the Cutler protocol? That is a phenomenally high amount of ALA to absorb. Did you do any specific mercury testing before and during ALA rounds to justify such an enormous dose?

I've been very significantly improved by the Freddd Protocol. I'm at maybe 90% functioning, up from perhaps 40%. A few months ago I was sleeping 13 hours a night, & now it's 8. I am running a large project for 57,000 people, and (just) keeping on top of it. As I keep tweaking, it gets better. I won't deny that there are crashes & blind alleys till you work your way through them & adjust.

I worked up to the 300mg ALA (every 2 hours, which reduces sfx) over 3-4 years. It's a fairly typical end-run dose for ALA. There were no sfx until the thiol problem re-appeared - tho if I'd tried 300mg when i first started, & had a lot more Hg onboard, I would have been flattened. No, no testing other than my initial hair test in 2012. I can't afford it.

All the best...

pemone

I've been very significantly improved by the Freddd Protocol. I'm at maybe 90% functioning, up from perhaps 40%. A few months ago I was sleeping 13 hours a night, & now it's 8. I am running a large project for 57,000 people, and (just) keeping on top of it. As I keep tweaking, it gets better. I won't deny that there are crashes & blind alleys till you work your way through them & adjust.

The problem is you have simultaneously done a major chelation protocol. How do you know your feeling better is not attributable to that? How do you know your body wasn't just improving on its own?

It's very problematic that these methylation protocols have nearly zero double blind studies proving that they result in any positive health outcome. The people who do these protocols never carefully measure metabolites in a careful and controlled N=1 study to show what the total effect is on body chemistry. Everything is done based on subjective feelings which are subject to placebo effects and other outside variables (like doing a major chelation at the same time).

In my own case I tried methylation protocols, did carefully measure my metabolites before, during, and after, and all I succeeded in doing was increasing my metabolism in very dangerous ways that subjectively made me feel different but not better.

Johnmac

Good questions.

I did 2+ years of chelation before beginning on methylation, so I'm pretty clear about what caused what.

I don't know that my body wasn't just improving on its own. But it hasn't for a long time. And it did - even in a new, unhealthy, high-stress culture (I moved to Cambodia); so I took a "best guess" that it was the methylation.

Also the methylation supps often have immediate good effects - you feel them same day, or same hour.

I also don't know that the whole thing isn't placebo. But I crudely "controlled" that by trying millions of other approaches over the years, which didn't do anything. That's the best I could do, as I can't afford much testing.

There are no RCTs on this because you can't patent most supplements. I was one of the first defenders of RCTs in the early 1980s; however since reading Dr Ben Goldacre's mega-tome on the corruption of the RCT process by drug companies, I no longer know (& therefore trust) what I am reading.

Yep, methylation protocols can definitely backfire tho. My initial effects (& the case reports from others) were so positive that I decided to work my way thru the crashes to find a formula that worked for me. The results are excellent but not perfect; & I won't be surprised if there are further crashes along the road.

The problem is you have simultaneously done a major chelation protocol. How do you know your feeling better is not attributable to that? How do you know your body wasn't just improving on its own?

It's very problematic that these methylation protocols have nearly zero double blind studies proving that they result in any positive health outcome. The people who do these protocols never carefully measure metabolites in a careful and controlled N=1 study to show what the total effect is on body chemistry. Everything is done based on subjective feelings which are subject to placebo effects and other outside variables (like doing a major chelation at the same time).

In my own case I tried methylation protocols, did carefully measure my metabolites before, during, and after, and all I succeeded in doing was increasing my metabolism in very dangerous ways that subjectively made me feel different but not better.

Thanks @caledonia

What happens if you're following Freddd's active B12 protocol but still have amalgams in? Should I use the recommened co-factor ALA or hold off on it?

Also where is this protocol to remove amalgams safely?

Thank you!

caledonia

Thanks @caledonia

What happens if you're following Freddd's active B12 protocol but still have amalgams in? Should I use the recommened co-factor ALA or hold off on it?

Also where is this protocol to remove amalgams safely?

Thank you!

It's ok to do methylation supplements (B vitamins, magnesium, carnitine etc.), but do hold off on ALA as that's a chelator.

The dentist should be following the IOAMT protocol which involves masks, rubber dam, oxygen, drilling at low speed, etc. Then you should be taking some support supplements.

Go to the Cutler protocol info in my signature link for a lot more info.

caledonia

Thank you so much @caledonia

Your hep and info is much appreciated.

If I may ask you another question... Is there a higher dose (possibly 5 mg) of MeCbl that is recommended to use by you and/or Freddd? I know Freddd recommends the 1 mg Enzymatic Therapy but it takes a handful to dose properly. Is the 5 mg Country Life Methyl B-12 equal quality?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQ9FDN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you

I use liquid sublinguals. You hold those for 30 seconds under your tongue.

I use Douglas Laboratories B12 Liquid Methylcobalamin, which is 1000mcg (1mg) per eyedropperful. So that would be 5 dropperfuls to get to 5mg.

Holistic Health makes Methyl B12 Mega Drops (methylcobalamin) - each drop is 1000mcg (1mg). So 5 drops would be 5mg.

Just to update from my previous post in 2015. I had a couple of great years with ALA, I was for all intents and purposes left me mostly symptom free. I was performing exceptionally well at work and in life. I believe it was due to increasing my anti oxidant capacity.

Unfortunately, it mostly stopped working after those 2 years and life got harder again. I'm not sure exactly why it stopped working. Only occasionally can I use it to get good results from it now, usually if I'm doing some heavy activity such as skiing, I will be good for 3 days - I would not dream of skiing without ALA or co-enzyme-Q10.

Last edited: