• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Current therapeutic strategies for ME/CFS: results of an online survey

Dolphin

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2015.1126025

Fatigue: Biomedicine, Health & Behavior
Volume 4, Issue 1, 2016

ARTICLES
Current therapeutic strategies for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome: results of an online survey

DOI:
10.1080/21641846.2015.1126025
Spyros N. Deftereosa*, Suzanne D. Vernonb & Andreas Persidisa
pages 39-51

• Received: 27 Dec 2014
  • Accepted: 25 Nov 2015
  • Published online: 28 Jan 2016

Alert me

Abstract

Background:
The treatment of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) symptoms poses significant challenges.

Purpose:
To enumerate current clinical treatment strategies for ME/CFS.

Methods:
A survey was deployed via the Internet to eleven expert clinicians in ME/CFS.

The experts rated medications for 18 symptoms and listed symptom groups that they considered as interrelated and representative of different ME/CFS phenotypes.

Respondents rated drug efficacy on an ordinal scale (1 = very effective to 5 = not effective).

Free text was also permitted to comment on treatment strategies and ME/CFS phenotypes.

Results:

Data were available for 11/20 respondents.

Citalopram was reported to be more than moderately effective for depression/anxiety and similarly fentanyl for muscle aches and arthralgias.

Low-dose stimulants and low-dose bupriopion were viewed as effective for fatigue by five respondents. Regarding ME/CFS phenotypes, respondents suggested that
(a) sleep improvement can ameliorate post-exertional malaise, pain and headache,
(b) treatment of orthostatic intolerance can improve fatigue, light headedness, mental fog, headache and pain, while
(c) epigastric pain, reflux, and early satiety may suggest nutritional hypersensitivity.

Conclusion:

The views of ME/CFS experts regarding treatment strategies and drug efficacy can aid clinicians in the optimization of their practices, and perhaps can steer ME/CFS research in directions that hold promise.
Keywords

Double sigh. I know it's the best we can do so far, but wouldn't it be nice if someday we could hear advice beyond, Learn to live within your limits, and build up your emotional resilience, because you're in for a tough ride?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
What is this, a sighfest? She's doing her best for us and some of her advice is useful.

EDIT: Sorry, got her mixed up with Lucinda Batemann after reading mango's link. Sigh away.

Last edited: