August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Current Book to give to family on why I am they way i am?!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by place, Apr 29, 2014.

1. place

place Be Strong!

US
    Serously, just had huge fight with mother about how I don't want to have a relationship with her because I won't go out to dinner with her at night. And if I do make plans, I often break them. So now i just don't make them and she just doesn't understand.

I do work, easy-ish job, only 30 or so hours a week (I think, I should clock myself). I know the next sentence will not match the first sentences but… I run a mid size company that allows me to be flexible in my work hours. So I come in late if I need to sleep, I work Saturdays and Sundays if I go home early on the week days. My mom seems to think I work tooo much and I am chosing work over socializing.

Its when I finally get home, I need to rest. Ughhhhh WTF does anybody have a good current book that she could learn from?

*GG* and minkeygirl like this.
  2. SOC

SOC

Why don't you just send her here to read for a bit? Maybe she'd figure out you're doing pretty darn well for a person with ME/CFS and get off your case. ;)

amaru7 likes this.
  3. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    that's an excellent idea! But in my view, a good option would be to hand her the canadian consensus criteria, explaining the symptoms of CFS and the Primer for Clinical Practitioners from IACFS/ME, that explain biological alterations found in CFS, treatment, etc. Here the links:
    canadian consensus criteria : http://www.name-us.org/DefintionsPages/DefinitionsArticles/ConsensusDocumentFull.pdf
    Primer for Medical Practitioners: http://www.iacfsme.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zYEzLn11Ej0=&tabid=509

I have the exact same problem than you with my family and I understand you by heart, buy they are not ready to read anithing that I handle them, I hope that you´ll have better luck, hugs

helen1 and SOC like this.
  4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I like a few YouTube videos. Maybe that would help. Type in Myalgic encephalomyelitis

5. place

place Be Strong!

US
    Soc- Thanks so much. She is not good at the Computers and the internets. But I can print out select stories for her to understand that I may be doing well today but in the drop of a hat could be bed bound. Pacing is the number one issues we need to keep.

Lauluce- Along with the post, this would be good to give a definition. It is a true picture.

Thanks for the help guys!

6. place

place Be Strong!

US
    Yes You Tube! Even better! Thanks so much minkeygirl!

minkeygirl likes this.
  7. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I'm pretty sure the "revised Canadian" definition discusses people who can work but not socialize.

See more popular forum discussions.