• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cure for HIV by luring the virus out of infected cells

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Professor Sharon Lewin, director of infectious diseases at Melbourne's The Alfred Hospital, says a new study shows that an anti-cancer drug can "wake up" the sleeping HIV virus.
The drug vorinostat can alter HIV genes and turn on or wake up the dormant virus cells.
"We know that the virus can hide in cells and remain out of reach from conventional HIV therapies and the immune system," Prof Lewin said in a statement on Monday.
"Anti-HIV drugs are unable to eradicate the virus because it burrows deeply into the DNA of immune cells, where it gets stuck and goes to sleep."
Prof Lewin says the study will help researchers work towards one day finding a cure for HIV.
"We've shown we can wake up the virus. Now we need to work out how to get rid of the infected cell," she said.
The results from the study are promising with researchers able to detect sleeping HIV in nearly all patients who took the drug, she said.
Twenty HIV-positive patients participated in the two-week trial.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/health/2013/03/04/12/01/hiv-cure-gets-closer-with-drug-experts

It would be nice if there is a way to do this with other viruses like ebv/cmv/hhv6 and enteroviruses,
mm interesting?? :whistle:

heapsreal

Vorinostat (rINN) or suberoylanilide hydroxamic acid (SAHA) is a member of a larger class of compounds that inhibit histone deacetylases (HDAC). Histone deacetylase inhibitors (HDI) have a broad spectrum of epigenetic activities.
Vorinostat is marketed under the name Zolinza for the treatment of cutaneous T cell lymphoma (CTCL) when the disease persists, gets worse, or comes back during or after treatment with other medicines.

Mechanism of action
Vorinostat has been shown to bind to the active site of histone deacetylases and act as a chelator for Zinc ions also found in the active site of histone deacetylases[4] Vorinostat's inhibition of histone deacetylases results in the accumulation of acetylated histones and acetylated proteins, including transcription factors crucial for the expression of genes needed to induce cell differentiati

Clinical trials
Vorinostat has also been used to treat Sézary syndrome, another type of lymphoma closely related to CTCL.[5]
A recent study suggested that vorinostat also possesses some activity against recurrent glioblastoma multiforme, resulting in a median overall survival of 5.7 months (compared to 4 - 4.4 months in earlier studies).[6] Further brain tumor trials are planned in which vorinostat will be combined with other drugs.
Including vorinostat in treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) showed improved response rates and increased median progression free survival and overall survival (although the survival improvements were not significant at the P=0.05 level).[7]
It has given encouraging results in a phase II trial for myelodysplastic syndromes in combination with Idarubicin and Cytarabine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorinostat

Ian

If you take a deep breath and step back and have a critical look at HIV. Most of what we have been told for decades is either totally insane or just rubbish. Big pharma and their friends in the media have gifted HIV with mythical properties like no other virus on the face of this planet. Meanwhile drugs they give to treat this virus are so toxic, it's a wonder people survive taking them. And frankly some don't survive taking them.

Waverunner

Heapsreal, very interesting study. The question is, how we clear the infected cells, once they become active. For HIV you have many treatment options, for EBV, HHV-6 etc. the treatment options are limited or even non-existent.

heapsreal

Heapsreal, very interesting study. The question is, how we clear the infected cells, once they become active. For HIV you have many treatment options, for EBV, HHV-6 etc. the treatment otpions are limited or even non-existent.

its a start i guess. mAybe where petersons cmx001 antiviral could come into play?? Interesting to keep an eye on this?

golden

I found the interesting part of the story was the mother stopping treatment against doctors wishes.

Then the doctors set social workers etc. after her and she was found 5 months later.

The media isn't really focusing on this and I can't help wondering about it from the mothers angle and her reasons.

golden

i would guess she wasnt the most responsible mother.

possibly daffodil.

Although in this instance it may have worked out extremely favourably for the baby. There isn't really much to go on.

The reanon I was wondering was due to the Sally and Neon Roberts case recently.

I don't know if you are UK based.

The Mother had knowledge of the so called gold standard treatment wished out in the UK for cancer patients - and her son of about 8 yrs old had been diagnosed with brain cancer.

She was choosing a better medical treatment for her son when the doctors intervened. It resulted in her running away and being chases in the middle of the night by helicopters and her son being stolen from her.

http://neonappeal.co.uk/about/

This link and website is very informative.

It appears there was in deed targeted treatment which the NHS did not inform her about.

I have been getting a magazine called

What Doctors Don't Tell You which is in supermarkets now.

I was stunned to read that chemotherapy figures are distorted.

I don't yet understand but the doctors use relative risk percentages which suggests it will help by 50%

when in actual fact the absolute risk is only 2% of it helping....

I really do get upset when Doctors abuse their status and lie.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been hearing about this on the radio over the past couple of days. The mother appeared at the hospital to deliver the baby having had not prenatal care.That is why the doctor decided to start the baby on the higher treatment level of the HIV drugs right away. She thought the chances were very high that the baby also had HIV. Normally, the baby would get a lower preventative level of the drugs until tests could determine whether she had HIV.

They said that when the mother was found, her life had been full of change and chaos. I would guess that there was no deliberate decision to discontinue treatment of the baby on her part, but just a failure to continue doing it.