Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cure: A Journey into the Science of Mind Over Body by Jo Marchant

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cheshire, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

In this book (published Jan 2016), Jo Marchant talks extensively about CFS, through the story of Samantha, a patient recovered thanks to Peter White.
    An Ode to Peter White's hard work and courage despite facing neurotic patients' support group.

upload_2016-2-14_15-44-40.png

upload_2016-2-14_15-45-31.png
    upload_2016-2-14_15-46-3.png

https://books.google.fr/books?id=KhBMCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT68&lpg=PT68&dq=jo marchant cfs&source=bl&ots=XI5hn_Fvgh&sig=9f1xwNsKYeHsN9ehY3AyTTnoJYk&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU8OP1uvfKAhXLthQKHfuZAJoQ6AEIIzAA#v=onepage&q=jo marchant cfs&f=false

Review of the book: http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ience-of-mind-over-body-by-jo-marchant-review

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

@Cheshire thanks for starting this thread. I first heard about this book a while ago and have NOT been looking forward to its publication or to any coverage in the MSM about it. This book is NOT our friend - not that anyone here is surprised.

Edit - link to another review http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-science-of-healing-thoughts/

3. skipskip30

skipskip30 Senior Member

I was feeling nauseas today even before reading that, far worse now.....

4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Freud's success stories were made up.

Engel's biopsychosocial model described a fictitious patient.

PACE was designed to produce misleading results... and didn't produce much anyway.

Mind over matter approaches cannot be tested against a real placebo intervention.

Psychology has a long history of producing quack treatments supported by junk science.

Medicine has a long history of declaring something a psychosomatic disorder only to later find out that it is an organic illness.

Excuse me if I'm skeptical about anyone being helped by mind over matter approaches.

Sea, green_monster, actup and 8 others like this.
  5. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

There is aparently an extract of the book in the Observer's monthly science and technology supplement.

actup likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

7. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Got this here. The piece is ironically titled 'Tired of Being Misunderstood' in the contents. Why might that be, I wonder?

8. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I wonder why CFS isn't taken seriously. Could it have anything to do with patients being described as irrational extremists, or alternatively, patients being described as lacking insight and needing to be saved from themselves, with a cure acheivable merely with an attitude adjustment and regular exercise? One continues to question the sanity of CBT/GET supporters.

9. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

the usual BS.

As expected:

(from the comment section)

Psychobabble is literally killing patients.

10. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

yes, and this by nobody less than ... psychiatrists... hahaha..

fact is: ppl are crawling around and had to give up their lifes and job.

no, the psychiatrists didnt expect such a backlash.
    thats arrogance, ignorance and no sense of the human mind.

Luther Blissett likes this.
  11. JohnCB

JohnCB Immoderate

England
    Yet another journalist. She claims she is writing a book as part of a claim about bad science, but there is plenty of bad science in her book. It's a typical diatribe. She starts by taking a poke at homeopathy to set the scene. Now I am not a fan of homeopathy. But what this does show is that she is chasing the sensational. She then goes onto a glib overview of placebos. There is far more to the placebo and associated effects like the nocebo response than she allows. But she is still using a misunderstood effect to sensationalise. What is the other thing if you are trying to avoid bad science - yes, you look at both sides. A book that doesn't cover the facts that you find inconvenient is not good science, it's a rant, no matter how nicely you have written the words. So we get to Samantha and suddenly out of the blue patient groups are reject CBT/GET without a thought. Her story starts with the PACE trial. She conveniently misses that patient groups have been fighting psychological nonsense since McEvedy and his hysteria nonsense. She has been banging on about placebos in the first part of the book. She does the usual bit about gold standard trials to account for the placebo effect. Apparently the gold standard is the randomised controlled trial. No, it's the double blinding that is important. But that would be inconvenient as PACE is not blinded. She doesn't even see that the effects she says have been found for CBT/GET fall well within the placebo range. She is happily unaware of the very real criticisms. Or perhaps she isn't, perhaps she just likes knocking people. Perhaps if she only bothered to interview the people who have been crippled by exercise therapy she might have written a different story. Perhaps she isn't just peddling bad science. Perhaps she is quite happily peddling bad journalism too. This is the era of the scientist journalist, selling books at any cost.

12. Esther12

Esther12

Would you be able to post up a readable image of it all?

Dolphin and Cheshire like this.
  13. worldbackwards

Earth
    I wouldn't know where to start. I'm going to read it in a minute. I'll report back later.

14. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Written as though a smitten fangirl who wants to be head cheerleader for the Elite know-it-all's team.

15. Stewart

Stewart

According to the Observer Tech Monthly Twitter feed the book extract will go up on the Guardian/Observer website later in the week.

16. Esther12

Esther12

I'm particularly interested in the pull out box about the controversy.

17. Kathevans

Kathevans Senior Member

Boston, Massachusetts
    I'm so tired of feeling guilty for being sick.

18. eafw

eafw Senior Member

UK
    The author of this nonsense, Jo Marchant, has a background in science but is quite happy to admit that writers don't need to know about a subject to churn out a populist money-spinning (and career-advancing) tale

"Ideally it should be colourful, dramatic, personal and intriguing, and it should have a certain emotion to it, so that it reflects the rest of the article in terms of the atmosphere it evokes, not just the information it contains."

from https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/mar/13/jo-marchant-science-writing-curiosity

19. worldbackwards

Earth
    Don't know what you're talking about. There's the extract and there's an inset interview on wider aspects of mind/body.

Esther12 likes this.
  20. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Dolphin, Aurator and Esther12 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.