• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Curcumin questions for atypical depression

xrunner

Hi Rand,
I never take any knotweed later than early afternoon for that reason.
It's only recently. When I first tried it, years ago I wasn't too well, it didn't have any effect on my sleep.
Now it does.

Rand56

Hi Rand,
I never take any knotweed later than early afternoon for that reason.
It's only recently. When I first tried it, years ago I wasn't too well, it didn't have any effect on my sleep.
Now it does.

hi xrunner

Ok great, that is what I wanted to know. Thanks for your reply.

Rand56

I think tolerance builds to anything, i think if an amino acid precursor stops working then just stop it for a week or 2, maybe longer if needed and then use again. I also think just using these things occassionally helps as well. I also think making sure you have good adrenal hormones like dhea, good thyroid etc is important to getting neurotransmitter levels right. Increasing neurotransmitters with low hormones might be like whipping a dead horse. Pregnenolone can also help with different neurotransmitters but these adrenal hormones can be tricky to adjust in cfs/me people and dosages alot lower then is normally recommended should be used. certain herbs can be useful but i think sometimes these also can be like whipping a dead horse, need to have good dhea, cortisol etc levels i think if using these.

cheers!!!

Hi Heaps

Makes total sense and I guess I was that dead horse.

Rand56

I failed to mention before, that the same time I started the Curcumin and in some higher doses <now I've cut back since I've added Knotweed>, I'm taking an enzyme blend that has a higher HUT count of protease. I forgot what thread I read it in, but one's ability or non-ability to digest proteins more completely could be an issue. I don't know if that is having some kind of synergistic effect on me but maybe so. I also read that Bromelain and other proteases can dramatically increase absorption of Curcumin. I didn't know this prior. All I knew before that taking it with some fat and black pepper and or bioperine can help with absorption. So it's either I was in need of some protease to digest more protein or I'm just feeling more effects from the Curcumin because it's being better absorbed. Or it could be a combination of the two. Atleast lately, I'd say the last couple of weeks, I've had a bit more energy and my depression is not "as bad" and I don't believe it's all placebo. Also, when I feel like laughing and then laugh..it's not as much of a "physical" struggle to do so. So for now I'm taking this as a plus.

Freddd

Hi all

It's been awhile since I have posted and I am still dealing with my atypical low Dopamine/NE depression and I have some questions if anyone can answer. I'll first say that I have tried Curcumin in the past but maybe I was not taking a high enough dosage of it to have an effect. I now started taking a higher dosage and although I feel a bit better my first question concerns the safety of taking higher dosages of it to see if I can get more of a AD response as I know that curcumin has some MAOI properties. Also to let you know stimulants work for me but don't want to become a stim junkie.
Also..sleep deprivation also works for me but obviously not a good solution.

First I'll preface by saying I seem to have a very high tolerance for supplements as I have tried many different ones in the past. I'm taking the Triple Strength Curcumin from Vitamin Shoppe. Each cap is 95% curcumin..900 mg along with 5mg of bioperine. I started taking 2 per day..no real effect. Upped it to 3..got more of an effect. Upped it to 4 per day and got even more of an effect..but I feel like I need to push it more. Is it even safe for me to take 3 per day let alone 4 or even more if I want to push it? If not, can anyone suggest anything else I can throw into the mix without going too high on the curcumin?

I've tried Resveratrol Sustain Alpha LV before and actually got a good response from that but then started getting the achilles heel pain that I understand others have gotten. If I needed to, is taking Resveratrol in combination with Curcumin ok to take together? Maybe by combining them and keeping the Resv dosage lower I can possibly avoid the achilles heel pain.

I'll also let you know that Licorice is a help for me as well. I understand you have to cycle it, but I was more afraid of taking it more for the long term because of it's estrogenic effects. Are any of these 3 safe to take in combination or can anyone suggest anything else I can try? Just to let you know..if you suggest something I've probably tried it already but give it a go anyway LOL.

Hi Rand56,

I'm going to throw something out here. There is a specific interrelationship between a CNS deficiency of adb12 and/or l-carnitine fumarate deficiency in the neurons of what appears to be the limbic system by the effects and that increases sensitivity to small dopamine changes. People in whom that is happening often have extreme hypersensitibty to l-carnitine fumarate and/or adenosylb12 and sometimes methylb12 as well as peculiar responses to benzos that affect the dopamine receptors and possible some other drugs as well.

Further in addition to fear, panic, anxiety, rage ethere can be "end of the world" depression on the other end of the same biochemical resppnse so one sees this sequence of emptional responses over and over under certain circumstances.

Also, deficiencies of mb12, adb12, l-carnitine fumarate, Metafolin, zinc, D, TMG, SAM-e and some other things can all cause long term depression.

Lotus97

Curcumin is also a cytochrome P450 inhibitor. I'm not sure about depression, but Hip was saying for anxiety the whole herb (turmeric) works better because curcumin doesn't have certain compounds that whole herb has. Paradise Herbs and New Chapter have full spectrum turmeric extracts so you don't have to swallow a dozen capsules or choke down nasty powder.