• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Curcumin Inhibition of Inflammatory Cytokine Production

GhostGum

I just posted this on another forum, while I remember and have the motivation thought I should get it posted on here because have not seen any extensive discussion on curcumin and feel it seriously deserves it.

Here is the cytokine study,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10051376

Another study showing curcumin as an immunomodulator

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18387511

My attention was also perked when I noticed some on a forum dedicated to performance enhancing using it as an injectable to stave off inflammation from excessive training/events and for generally better overall performance. Sourcing a reliable injectable or even courses of it intravenously under supervision (doctor/ME study) I just feel could be very interesting and appears to have good potential to treat hallmark symptoms.

Personally I take so much stuff already and am happy with my progress I have not tried it but still considering it if I could find a good source to take it as an injectable or even intravenously with my doctor.

Anyway curious at others thoughts about curcumin, those who have tried it and especially those more scientifically minded about the above studies.

Cheers.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I just posted this on another forum, while I remember and have the motivation thought I should get it posted on here because have not seen any extensive discussion on curcumin and feel it seriously deserves it.

Here is the cytokine study,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10051376

Another study showing curcumin as an immunomodulator

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18387511

My attention was also perked when I noticed some on a forum dedicated to performance enhancing using it as an injectable to stave off inflammation from excessive training/events and for generally better overall performance. Sourcing a reliable injectable or even courses of it intravenously under supervision (doctor/ME study) I just feel could be very interesting and appears to have good potential to treat hallmark symptoms.

Personally I take so much stuff already and am happy with my progress I have not tried it but still considering it if I could find a good source to take it as an injectable or even intravenously with my doctor.

Anyway curious at others thoughts about curcumin, those who have tried it and especially those more scientifically minded about the above studies.

Cheers.

I take a couple of grams of curcumin daily. I have done it for a while so I can't really say what the effect is anymore but as it is supposed to help with inflammation, I continue. I have also read that it isn't very bio-available (not sure if that is the right term in this case) and that an ingredient in black pepper makes it more so.

Good luck with this!
Sushi

Whit

You can get liposomal curcumin from "Let's Talk Health". I didn't have the guts to take it, but it should theoretically increase absorption. And there are studies linking CFS with the same kind of inflamation that curcumin helps lower.

GcMAF Australia

Cheers.
Certainly cucurmin is very promising

Vitamin D stimulates phagocyte removal of β-amyloid and this has implications in Alzheimer's disease. Curcumin enhances the β-amyloid phagocytosis by type1 but not type two phagocytes. Curcumin has anticancer properties and the apoptosis resistance of HL-60 leukemia cells after vitamin D treatment is abolished by curcumin.
Curcumin binds to the vitamin D nuclear receptor (VDR) and also the retinoid X receptor (RXR).
neuroprotective effects (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17569212)

peggy-sue

I did try taking about 1.5 grams of turmeric daily for a while.
All that really happened was I got loads of yellow stains all over the kitchen......

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I take a couple of grams of curcumin daily. I have done it for a while so I can't really say what the effect is anymore but as it is supposed to help with inflammation, I continue. I have also read that it isn't very bio-available (not sure if that is the right term in this case) and that an ingredient in black pepper makes it more so.
yep, the piperine - there's even a little bit more in white pepper than in black

curcumin is also related to ginger

peggy-sue

Curcumin (turmeric) also reduces "bad" cholesterol.
Ordinary cumin is an antispasmodic. (The ancient Egyptians used it in medicine!)
Garlic is antiseptic.
Ginger is anti-nausea.

the list of wonderful things spices do is almost endless.

GhostGum

You can get liposomal curcumin from "Let's Talk Health". I didn't have the guts to take it, but it should theoretically increase absorption. And there are studies linking CFS with the same kind of inflamation that curcumin helps lower.

Interesting products there but pretty expensive, talk about over exaggerating the products as well, not that that necessarily has anything to do with how good they are or not. If curcumin is very bio-available as well maybe this is not necessary, still more curious about trying an injectable or intravenous though. The resveratrol there has made me more curious actually since it is not something that absorbs well in more typical forms, the link I posted here as well about supplements to treat herpes viruses mentions resveratrol having antiviral potential, another story though,

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...irus-researchers-bet-it-is.19248/#post-294845

Whit

Curcumin is thought to absorb very poorly. So there is reason to use liposomal. Whether it's a good idea or not all in all, I don't know. Makes me worried about purity to have something absorbed that well.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
The question arises as to whether those with leaky gut absorb better. The protease bromelain is used in some scenarios to deliberately increase gut permeability and therefore absorption of pharmaceuticals.

Curcumin is thought to absorb very poorly. So there is reason to use liposomal. Whether it's a good idea or not all in all, I don't know. Makes me worried about purity to have something absorbed that well.

The Indians, typically combine turmeric with milk because the fat in milk creates a liposome with the curcumin, at least according to Dr. Shiva (he ran for senate in massachusetts)

Last edited by a moderator: