• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Curcumin and HPA Axis Dysfunction

curry

Now I have a scientific explanation for my curry obsession :)

If the turmeric in capsules doesn't work, then you may try this: Recipe - Prawn Curry.

1326_MEDIUM.jpg

Tom

windows exterminator
Hi Pamb ,

When I switched from capsules to enhansa powder I put it on a lettuce leaf , folded that then ate it.
It was tasteless , should've added salt to the lettuce .
Your husband may be OK with uncooked tumeric--see if he can have a taster session in the shop.

Tom

pamb

Thanks Curry and Tom,

Curry: Great recipe. I could do that and he loves prawns so it might be a way to sneak it in. Not so much tumeric in it, but I could add a bit extra maybe.
Tom: Ok, I'll try putting tumeric in lettuce with a bit of salt and see if that flies. I have the tumeric already and put it on my food, but he complains it ruins his. Maybe a lettuce side dish is the solution as he will take his meds. no matter how yucky.

This is more fun than more meds bought online at any rate :)

Tom

windows exterminator
pamb ,

new recipe.
As you're in France add garlic and red wine if tolerated.
Numb his taste buds , or over-power them , before the Tumeric .

Tom
(smileys)

pamb

Hi Tom, as you might guess, the red wine is not an option (except for me :) so we'll have to overpower with the garlic. Not hard to do in these parts for sure.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
Pam

Tumeric isn't highly spiced. In fact I find it quite bland and use it in cooking mostly as a colouring agent, e.g. instead of saffron.

I just add quarter teaspoon along with black pepper (the piperine in black pepper only allows the active ingredients in tumeric to work) to a quarter glass of UHT milk.

The UHT milk probably tastes more unpleasant than the other ingredients.:D

It wouldn't be my drink of choice but its not desperately unpleasant either.

I just take this once in the morning and can't definitively say that its doing much good. But its certainly not doing any harm.

C

Cloud

Hi Tom....or anyone, I have a question on the Enhansa. I started it about 2 weeks ago at 1 capsule (150mg) per day and didn't feel anything....but after 1 week at this dose, I got quite a flare of symptoms that I couldn't pin on anything else and that have lasted for 4 days now. The symptoms are sorta kinda like a moderate level crash. I'm also having much more GI symptoms.....eating any amount flares symptoms worse. If that's from herxing, this stuff is pretty effective at killing off bugs.

It sounds like what you have posted below, but I wanted to ask because I thought it was strange that I has no reaction at all for a full week, then bam....and then the reaction lasts for 4 days. Is any of this what you have experienced?

liverock

Hi there,

Very interesting thread. Alas, I have a question. Buying more supplements is just not in the family budget, or our ability to keep track of what to take when, but I can buy tumeric at the local market in bulk very cheaply. My husband hates anything spicy, so putting it in food is not going to fly. Would it be helpful to put plain tumeric in capsules and try to figure out how many to take? Or is tumeric just too far from refined curcumin to have that make sense?

Thanks for any feedback.

You need to be careful buying curcumin from a local supplier, where it is taken and weighed out from a bulk supply such as at the local grocer shop. Most bulk curcumin comes from India and China and can be contaminated with heavy metals such as lead. Im not saying all of it is, but a lot of bulk cheap curcumin is contaminated.

Reputable supplement manufacturers are required to have their bulk supplies tested to ensure it is not contaminated and should be able to produce a certificate of testing on request.

Tom

windows exterminator
Hi Cloud ,

It sounds similar to what I experienced , The G.I symptoms anyway , and near enough the time scale . 4 days before things started for me. Would last 3 to 4 days then settle.
I would wait until everything has settled down for 3 to 4 days before increasing the dosage , and you'll likely get the same kind of reactions on a similar timescale .
I was taking 75 mg twice daily and increasing by 75 mg and slowly working up.
Looks like it's starting to work for you..Good!!

Tom

leaves

I noticed an increase in bile production pretty soon after taking the enhansa, it is a common effect of curcumin, that can cause gastro symptoms too.
I am taking 2 x 300mg daily. Not sure if it still has an effect tho.. it did at the start.

C

Cloud

Hi Cloud ,

It sounds similar to what I experienced , The G.I symptoms anyway , and near enough the time scale . 4 days before things started for me. Would last 3 to 4 days then settle.
I would wait until everything has settled down for 3 to 4 days before increasing the dosage , and you'll likely get the same kind of reactions on a similar timescale .
I was taking 75 mg twice daily and increasing by 75 mg and slowly working up.
Looks like it's starting to work for you..Good!!

Tom

Knowing that will help hang on through the rough periods....encouraging, Thanks Tom

I have read online that curcumin is good for pain, candida and immune system, is this correct?
Also I seem to read conflicting info about what brand or type of cucurmin to take, can anyone help with this?
I had previously been taking LDN but it keeps making me feel too viral even though it works well for my fibro pain. So thought I'd try cucurmin instead.

Anyone else take it?

Some people say the brand curamin is meant to be best, is it?

Angel (UK)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It's also good for lowering your blood pressure. I do know you have to have black pepper with it. Some make a combo that has both ingredients.

misskatniss

I can´t tell you a good brand name as I purchased it here in Germany, but I take Curcumin due to Hip´s anti-anxiety suggestions, and for me it helps, even if I do not completely understand how, but I feel better with it. Heard it works as antiinflammant. It does a lot, if I quick-read the wiki :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@EnduringAngel

Your thread about curcumin has been merged with this older one which is 4 pages long and has a lot of relevant information. Good to check for older threads on the subject before starting a new one--keeps the information in one place and easier to find.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Just tried to reply to the new thread and was told I was not allowed - they must have been in the process of being merged!

Luckily I copied my post. I apologise if what I say has already been said but I haven't had time to read all the posts in the other thread yet!

I am taking Source Naturals turmeric extract which also contains bromelain and BioPerine (black pepper extract). I look at curcumin and resveratrol in a blogpost here.

I'm taking it to try to reduce inflammatory cytokines. No obvious impact on my solute diuresis, which was a major reason for taking it, but unless it is pure coincidence it seems to have just about fixed my hand numbness which was like carpal tunnel syndrome (it's thought to be good for this too).

I'm glad that someone has started a dedicated thread on curcumin/turmeric, which I will follow with interest.

@Hip found turmeric better than the ingredient curcumin according to his post here.