Dr. Bateman answers IOM questions from the community: Part 2
Clark Ellis brings us Part 2 of an interview with Dr. Lucinda Bateman, where she answered questions posed by the patient community …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cucurmin and Herxheimer?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by LisaGoddard, Feb 23, 2013.

1. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

Hi,
    After a few days of taking curcumin, I get a really horrible flu like feeling. This has put me off it. However, I wonder if it is a herxheimer reaction and if anyone has a similar experience? I gather curcumin is anti-inflammatory so I'm not sure why I should be getting a herx. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

2. PGHCFS

PGHCFS

Pittsburgh, PA
    I have also read that curcumin increases th2 and cfs patients, some believe, are already th2 dominant. This may explain a worsening of symptoms (or not, really I am clueless). I gave up green tea and curcumin while I try to level out my th1/th2.

3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Lisa I can't tolerate curcumin either, makes me feel quite ill - no idea why.

4. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

Thanks guys. Good to know I am not the only one. I found something a little while ago that said in rats, it increases th2 when given in low doses and decreases th2 at high doses. I won't try it again - not worth the risk.
    Thanks again.
    Lisa

5. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've been experiencing herx from probiotics recently. I considered it was from die-off, but I read recently that probiotics can sometimes initiate a Th2 response in people so I'm considering that a possibility too. That said, a quick Google search shows that curcumin possesses antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties so you might just being experiencing die off. Also, I'm not sure if these lists about Th1/Th2 stimulants mean that they all active the same way. While curcumin is listed as a Th2 stimulant it also is supposed to inhibit cytokines.

See more popular forum discussions.