1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cucurmin and Herxheimer?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by LisaGoddard, Feb 23, 2013.

1. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

Hi,
    After a few days of taking curcumin, I get a really horrible flu like feeling. This has put me off it. However, I wonder if it is a herxheimer reaction and if anyone has a similar experience? I gather curcumin is anti-inflammatory so I'm not sure why I should be getting a herx. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Lisa

2. PGHCFS

PGHCFS

Pittsburgh, PA
    I have also read that curcumin increases th2 and cfs patients, some believe, are already th2 dominant. This may explain a worsening of symptoms (or not, really I am clueless). I gave up green tea and curcumin while I try to level out my th1/th2.

3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Lisa I can't tolerate curcumin either, makes me feel quite ill - no idea why.

4. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

Thanks guys. Good to know I am not the only one. I found something a little while ago that said in rats, it increases th2 when given in low doses and decreases th2 at high doses. I won't try it again - not worth the risk.
    Thanks again.
    Lisa

5. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've been experiencing herx from probiotics recently. I considered it was from die-off, but I read recently that probiotics can sometimes initiate a Th2 response in people so I'm considering that a possibility too. That said, a quick Google search shows that curcumin possesses antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties so you might just being experiencing die off. Also, I'm not sure if these lists about Th1/Th2 stimulants mean that they all active the same way. While curcumin is listed as a Th2 stimulant it also is supposed to inhibit cytokines.

See more popular forum discussions.