Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Critical PACE article praising Alem Matthees on News.com.au

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Esther12, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Neunistiva, PennyIA, rosie26 and 38 others like this.
  2. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

It's a good article, and it's a site with huge traffic in Australia.

ETA: article traffic currently at 856 readers, 600 readers above the next most popular headline.

JaimeS, Mel9, MEMum and 9 others like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I read this an hour or two ago. It covers some of the biomedical research as well, including Ron Davis, and discusses the replication crisis.

PennyIA, JaimeS, Mel9 and 12 others like this.
  4. Murph

Murph :)

Thanks for reading. I wrote the piece, inspired by Sasha Nimmo's interview with Alem. I was helped enormously by Alem himself, plus Tom Kindlon and Carolyn Wilshire.

The forums here gave me a huge amount to work with in assembling the bits and pieces that made up the story! I'm very pleased it seems to be getting a good audience. :)

PennyIA, ukxmrv, Neunistiva and 60 others like this.
  5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Very good article. :)

Thanks to Murph, and to the editor for running it. :thumbsup:

PennyIA, Comet, MEMum and 15 others like this.
  6. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Well done @Murph, thank you so very much!

JaimeS, Comet, MEMum and 11 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks to all involved. It does seem such a great story for the media to pick up on, so hopefully this will encourage others to cover it.

JaimeS, Mel9, Dolphin and 5 others like this.
  8. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Well done @Murph. Excellent article.

JaimeS, Mel9, Dolphin and 6 others like this.
  9. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Thanks very much for the excellent article @Murph , any chance you could request the text below Alem's photo right at the top of the article be amended, currently reads "A letter from Alem Matthees helped lead to a breakthrough in chronic fatigue.", I would want it to have "syndrome" added to the end.

Chronic fatigue is a symptom, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, if we have to use that name, and for the purposes of the article that is what has been used, is the condition that we suffer from.

JaimeS, Mel9, Jan and 11 others like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This is terrific, @Murph! That's great that you managed to get this somewhere so high-profile.

I'd agree with Andy that it would be good to clear up a few instances of "chronic fatigue" instead of "chronic fatigue syndrome" - if you do a word search, you'll find them.

Also, Ron Davis doesn't head the OMF, Linda Tannenbaum does. But Ron Davis heads their Scientific Advisory Board:

http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/scientific-advisory-board/

These are minor things, though - your article is top stuff!

It's a pity we can't leave comments. I'd like Australians to know that thousands of patients overseas are grateful to an Australian patient - Alem Matthees - whose actions are making such a difference.

Zombie_Lurker, JaimeS, Mel9 and 13 others like this.
  11. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

It could be said that the PACE trial was studying chronic fatigue, not CFS or ME, since the Oxford definition they used only requires the single symptom 6 months unexplained fatigue.

dyfalbarhau, JaimeS and Mel9 like this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    But they claimed to be studying CFS and if CF and CFS are used interchangeably in the article it will give the impression that they're the same thing. The article doesn't explain the Oxford issue (rightly, IMO, because that would be too much detail) so the reader doesn't have that context.

dyfalbarhau, JaimeS, Webdog and 4 others like this.
  13. Murph

Cheers

Good tip - I will see if I can get those changed tomorrow morning.

JaimeS, Mel9, Comet and 13 others like this.
  14. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    @Murph

First, thanks for the awesome article - I shared on my facebook, something I do rarely.

Second, is about my pet peeves.

Could it even go one better and use 'Myaglic Encephalomyelitis' throughout?

'Chronic fatigue syndrome' has so much historical negative connotations to overcome. It feels more like an accusation than a diagnosis.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis, except perhaps in the UK, carries none or very little negative baggage.

Same with "ME/CFS" - in my perfect world we'd only use "ME" and let 'cfs' fade away like a bad nightmare.

I realize these changes are probably out of your control, but wanted to express my thoughts.

Mel9, Jo Best and Keela Too like this.
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

@Murph

If looking at minor errors, it looks like you talk about the 'tribunal' at the ICO stage here, when the tribunal was the final appeal:

Murph, Mel9 and Valentijn like this.
  16. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Excellent article @Murph, helping to set the record straight. We need this to get wider exposure in the UK somehow.

Solstice, Webdog, Mel9 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Murph

My editor just gave me some feedback. 85,000 readers so far! That's a strong result, even for stories on topics with far more population-wide appeal. (Not quite as far-reaching as a top-rating TED talk obviously, but not too shabby!)

mango, Jan, Valentijn and 20 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.