• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Creepy Crawley: Obesity in adolescents with chronic fatigue syndrome

Hip

I am a normal person who is seriously exercising to loose weight (not refering to exercise fanatic) wont just exercise for just 15mins a day and expect that to help much, that would be like a warm up.

Yes, sure, but remember we are talking about whether the sedentary lifestyle forced upon children with ME/CFS might be the cause of their weight gain. Therefore, to examine this question, you would want to compare the exercise levels of these ME/CFS patients with the exercise levels of an average healthy person (not a person doing a huge amount of exercise in order to lose weight).

So my argument is that because a healthy person doing the medically recommended amount of exercise per week only burns around 200 kilocalories per day (which is small compared to the 2,000 kilocalorie daily food intake), there is actually not much energy expenditure difference between sedentary ME/CFS patients, and people doing the recommended amount of exercise.

Therefore, the lack of exercise in these ME/CFS is unlikely to be the cause of their obesity.

HowToEscape?

@HowToEscape?
I am just looking at an average person, not an exercise fanatic. For an average person, running 15 minutes each day, or 30 minutes every other day, would be considered engaging in reasonable amount of exercise. UK medical recommendations for exercise are 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity like running per week.

The jam donut was a randomly chosen food item to illustrate calorific content. You should not read anything into it. I could also have chosen a 330ml can of Coke (139 kilocalories), or a 100 gram portion of French fries (312 kilocalories).

OK. From a medical perspective, 30 min x every other day counts as reasonable. Not much fun tho; even a 25mi (err, 40km) bike ride takes much more than 30 min.

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
Therefore, the lack of exercise in these ME/CFS is unlikely to be the cause of their obesity.

My (completely unscientific!) self-observation suggests that I may actually have a tendency to GAIN weight when I become more physically active. :confused: