• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Create your own Infared Sauna for cheap

maryb

iherb code TAK122
good idea but I have nowhere to put it - I've read that near infrared saunas are better than far infrared, no EMF etc.

Martial

Yes this is considered the near infared category as well, I heard that far infared can actually be damaging in similar ways to a microwave as how it heats you from the inside out.. I was using far infared for a while and it definitely got me sweating but find the near infared much easier to handle lol!

Yeah I guess space can be an issue, but hey its pretty small compared to the rest of the giant infared options!

Mij

I prepared my own far infrared sauna years ago, I increased the time gradually until I got a good sweat going. I was able to tolerate it for up 30 minutes but had to lie down after since I a rush of blood to my head after the session. Far infrared does not feel hot but you can sweat. I did these during the winter months, btw. It really raises your metabolic rate so you might feel dizzy after.

Martial

the dizziness afterwards is more likely due to POTS Mij I think

Can I ask where did you have your TTT and POTS assessment please Martial?

I had a doctor run a test at one point but I also have lyme disease as my illness and it doesn't effect everyone with POT/S though some lyme patients do have it.. My biggest issues have mainly been neurological, brain, and issues with my heart.. God I just don't hope I have damage and die pre maturely from a heart attack lol

Allyson

@Allyson it might have been because I had to stay lying down for at least an hour and couldn't take a shower after-no way.

Yes POTS can cause that Mij - it is a common ME symptom but you do not know for sure til you have a special test for it - a tilt table test; it is then often treatable so well worth testing for IMO..

Ally

Allyson

I had a doctor run a test at one point but I also have lyme disease as my illness and it doesn't effect everyone with POT/S though some lyme patients do have it.. My biggest issues have mainly been neurological, brain, and issues with my heart.. God I just don't hope I have damage and die pre maturely from a heart attack lol

yes they advise anyone with EDS to have a cardiac echocardiogram every 5 years for that very reason Martial - many do die of what seems like a heart attack - more likely aortic dissection or ruptured aneurysm that were not diagnosed correctly - many Lymies do have POTS and you can have EDS and LYME - EDS may pre-dispose you to Lyme is a theory due to weakened immune system

ALLY

Martial

yes they advise anyone with EDS to have a cardiac echocardiogram every 5 years for that very reason Martial - many do die of what seems like a heart attack - more likely aortic dissection or ruptured aneurysm that were not diagnosed correctly - many Lymies do have POTS and you can have EDS and LYME - EDS may pre-dispose you to Lyme is a theory due to weakened immune system

ALLY

Well lyme is contracted via a tick, if you mean to say EDS can make you sicker because of surronding issues from it that is another thing, of course many people with lyme may have POT/S as well. Or others may have POT/S because of lyme and not know it.. I am pretty sure I don't have any other issues though as up until I got sick I was always in perfect health with no issues whatsoever. That is scary about the EDS stuff though! did not know that!

lyme also attacks collagen in the body so it is also possible to get secondary eds? type symptoms for some?

amaru7

The only person who I read about claiming near infrared is better and far infrared to be harmful is Dr. L. Wilson. But some of his claims have nothing to back it up and seem wild to me, I'm not saying he's wrong, I just don't know, but I question it.

Btw, the mobile infrared Sauna from firzone, that Dr myhill recommends, is it also near infrared? Could somebody find this out for me?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I feel the same way - what to do???? the one on Dr My-hill's site is far infrared

amaru7

I know two people who had good experience with firzone far infrared Sauna, and even if it does emit electromagnetic field, I think the benefit absolutely outweighs the risk. I probably will buy this Sauna, because saunas where I live are very expensive like 15bucks and more for couple of hours.

Plus I also prefer the privacy.
As for the manual, I have not enough space nor the energy to build it.

Saunas are often said to be an excellent way of detoxifying that's why I want to try it out to reduce the burden in hope to improve my energy and brain. Dr. Myhill even did testing on toxin load before and after Sauna use and the results are very promising if what she says is really true.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I think she is very honest and has nothing to gain by not being truthful. I may just take the plunge - so to speak:)

Martial

Well I don't think Far Infared is extremely toxic or anything, they both work great! I have just heard a little bit of other issues regarding far infared though, none of it seems disastrous or anything though...