• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crazy idea - double infect yourself to remind your immune system to switch off

helperofearth123

I had a crazy idea. I have ME/CFS triggered by a lyme infection. The lyme infection appears to be long gone but my symptoms are not. I had the crazy idea that what if I were to get infected with Lyme disease again, treated with antibiotics after a few days or so, and see if my immune system remembers this time to switch off. It might be the same immune regions that activate fully to fight the infection so activating them fully again might mean they remember to completely switch off, rather than only partially switch off, which is what they (the immune regions) seem to have done.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Martial

I wouldn't recommend purposefully giving yourself a lyme infection again. If you still have symptoms maybe try a protocol that doesn't require antibiotics such as the Buhner protocol. If you see improvements or some changes within a few months continue on it. If not maybe then try some other things. He made a recent book called Healing Lyme and Co infection 2nd edition I would highly suggest checking it out.

Hip

Dr John Chia has observed that ME/CFS patients have sometimes been cured after catching respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection or influenza virus infection:
He said that there are two acute infections that can shift the immune response back into a healthy state: influenza and human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV). He said that he had an ME/CFS patient who was very ill, got an RSV infection and went into full remission (which lasted for at least 5 years, last time they spoke).

More info in this post.

Last edited:

pattismith

Dr John Chia has observed that ME/CFS patients have sometimes been cured after catching respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection or influenza virus infection:

More info in this post.
I got flu a year ago (juanary), and RSV infection this year (juanary) so I can talk about my own experience, even though I am a long time ill ME/CFS with progressive occurence and Low T3 (and toxic exposure), so obviously I may not be the ideal subject that would fit with Dr Chia observations.

Anyway, what I learnt is that RSV lower CD8 lymphocytes, so it may be a good thing for people with high CD8.

For me who has already low limit lymphocytes, it weakened my first line immune system, and I caught an adenovirus a month after my initial RSV infection.
I observed that on the contrary the adenovirus made my lymphocytes to raise.

Seven7

Seven
Is not that simple. I go into remissions with viruses ( flu, zica, colds..).
But I can tell when virus is gone becuase CFs feeling return. Is pretty amazing to experience to be honest is like a switch.

But I do not get that with bacterial infections, I predicted one ( strep) when I felt horrible but did not get the Cfs away. I knew it was not a virus. So when I went to the doctor which looked at me like I am crazy or something, and you could see her wonder look when the test came back positive for strep!!! Wow you can really tell apart a virus vs bacteria by your Cfs reaction?!