Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Crawley: How to deal with anti-science BRS2017

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cheshire, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France
    Tweets from Esther Crawley's BRS 2017 lecture

Thanks to MEmilitant for retweeting these.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    suseq, Binkie4, taniaaust1 and 5 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France

Valentijn, Daisymay and AndyPR like this.
  3. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France

Valentijn, Daisymay and AndyPR like this.
  4. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France

And a conclusion we will agree upon:

5. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones Senior Member

Why can't she understand that the 'dangers' are from researching into a disease using bogus (Oxford) research criteria? Many patients are aware of this and simply don't what her to be producing bad research about their illness.

Has she heard of the CCC? I literally want to ask her why she doesn't use it and dump the Oxford criteria.

She should try comparing her experience to those of our heroes in Norway and elsewhere who receive nothing but praise.

Esperanza, Maggie21, Mary and 16 others like this.
  6. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

EC is a fraud and charlatan and using psychological tricks. She thinks by using the term anti-science then everyone must assume she is on the side of science fighting against the anti-science.

Best way to deal with this is for everyone on twitter to use #BRS2017 and flood it with all the best pro-science PACE trial articles. i.e. Tuller, Virology, Centre for Welfare Reform , Sense about Science USA, Rehmeyer, all the JHP ones, NYT etc.

This is the strategy needed to deal with anti-science charlatans like EC.

MEMilitant is an expert on this

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    keenly, Maggie21, Mary and 18 others like this.
  7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

I am unclear what Esther Crawley was doing last a British Renal Society meeting.

She seems no to have noticed that the FOI request that did get through was found not to be vexatious, manifestly unjustified, inappropriate or whatever, but entirely reasonable. The information officer found the claims of anti-science to be unjustified. Moreover, the OMEGA petition seemed to get it right in that the application was turned down by the Wellcome. It was poorly thought through.

I may be slow on the uptake but this is now clear evidence that Dr Crawley is delusional about the quality of her science and the nature of her critics. She did not mention that if you do bad science you may get Emeritus Professors of Medicine pointing out how bad it is, as well as patients.

Who on earth is this Sridharan fellow? Has anyone pointed out to him (or BRS) that a hundred scientists have written to the Lancet saying she and her friends are talking nonsense?

Maggie21, Wolfiness, Mary and 43 others like this.
  8. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

It was he who drew the short straw.

9. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

After that extensive anti-patient tirade, even most newbies to the field would think she's a bit unhinged.

10. Jonathan Edwards

I don't tweet but someone could tweet to BRS on my behalf
    ' BRS have made complete fools of themselves here.'

Esperanza, Maggie21, Ritto and 14 others like this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Sort of Sancho Panza I guess.

12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Why would a CFS researcher speak at a renal conference about how to deal with anti-science?

Do renal researchers/doctors care about CFS? Is renal research/care a target for anti-science movements? (do anti-science movements even exist?)

13. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

Good point, what was EC doing at a Renal presentation?

Regarding the FOI request, it's looking like EC believes if she omits or denies information often enough people will believe her and her colleagues.

What I don't understand is: what is in it for these people (BPS followers) to relentlessly target ME/CFS patients? And, why are they allowed to continue to dictate and dominate in the NHS? Why would the establishment (seemingly) ignore the scandal of PACE and current biomedical progress? Am I missing something?

14. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

How to deal with stalkers.. How to deal with vexatious requests... How to deal with girls who don`t like u... How to be popular in the matinee...

Oh, it seems this is supposed to be a researcher talking, not a 15 year old teenager giving life advice?

15. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

She has resorted to using the SOCIAL MEDIA TASK FORCE to disseminate her fake news!!! :lol::lol::rofl::rofl:

He is a the social media police for the International Society for Nephrology (about kidneys)

Nephrologist; Member of the ISN Social Media Task Force. Tweets are not medical advice
    For this upcoming World Congress of Nephrology, ISN has constituted a Social Media Task Force, joining forces with a group of dedicated people, to cover the congress on social media. This will include live coverage of selected sessions, interviews of participants and key stakeholders, and much more.

https://www.wcn2017.org/organizers/social-media-task-force

Can someone please please tell me how on earth a professional person can stand up and do this and still be able to comply with their professional bodies regulation and maintain their competence licence?

Please Dr Edwards - tell me does the medical professional institutes and the GMC have no standards or ethics or regulations. Why is she still a licensed doc? These were all bare face lies and smearing of vulnerable patient groups.

There is no industry or profession (including the much recently maligned banking industry ) that allows this sort of delusional lies to go on by their members without either reprimanding or being struck off. What is wrong with medicine??????

moateyboatey, rosa, Maggie21 and 18 others like this.
  16. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

'Delusional' is the right qualification. I totally agree!

17. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    Where have many of the tweets gone? :confused:

I just get the notice that they don't exist.

Have they been suddenly vamooooshed? :thumbdown: :p

18. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
  19. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

I just saw a woman doctor tweet sympathetically and tell her to keep on doing what she's doing. She's clearly portraying herself as quite the little heroine. If only they knew....

Mary, moateyboatey, moosie and 14 others like this.
  20. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Maybe renal science is the next target in the cross hairs of the MUPS attack? Certainly NHS Wales microbiology depts have their urine testing protocols set up so that those who have gram positive / anaerobic organisms causing kidney infections won't be discovered. A negative test is bound to equal a MUPS dx: surely it MUSt?

See more popular forum discussions.