1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Crappy GPs and NHS in the UK

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by snowathlete, May 28, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK

:cat: very naughty kitty! :cat:

:)
    Valentijn and snowathlete like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I just want to add that, while there are a lot of vile doctors about (as with any profession), I think that the poor quality of a lot of the research around CFS, and the way in which a lot of results are spun to them, does make it hard for them not to be rubbish with CFS.

They're not going to have time to look closely of critically at research data, but will instead work on the assumption that they can trust the more general reviews of information given to them.

Also, the biopsychosocial approach to CFS is shit for patients, but can also end up putting a lot of blame on doctors. eg: If a GP has been told that CFS manifests as a result of patients being encouraged into a sick role by their doctor, then that sets up a difficult emotional situation for them, and which which is likely to lead to some feelings of guilt and resentment (an there's also plenty of misleading research which could play in to any desire they have to blame their patients). Also... there's not much GPs can do for CFS patients, so that's not ideal either.

None of which is to say that there are not GPs who are just arse-holes, and behave in a repulsive manner - just that for a lot of okay-ish GPs who would normally be good, CFS is particularly likely to lead to problems.
    PhoenixDown, Bob and Valentijn like this.
  3. golden

golden Senior Member

Clear Light

I am never going into another consultation without privately recording it. But I think sharing it with the public is the bit when it becomes illegal -....
  4. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    I hit the like button, but I would never place sole blame on researchers. I think Godwin's law may come into play.
  5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I had a GP who, when I did some research and printed out a summary for her to help her understand my polyuria, stated that the subject "didn't float her boat" and that she was entitled to have some leisure time. As if I was expecting her to read it during her time off, which I wasn't. It wouldn't have taken long. Maybe it was just too scientific for her, and she was too embarrassed to admit it. But she was really hostile and aggressive. I just needed help with a health problem which was messing up my life and which she didn't seem to understand or care about.

The only GP I can remember who seemed to be any good, and I have had many, was a locum whom I only saw once. A colleague had a similarly high opinion of him.

And they get paid so much!

I finally gave up on them 3 years ago after an acute illness which put me in hospital and which they never diagnosed correctly. I worked it out myself in the end.
    Bob likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Appalling! I feel very lucky that my current one is good, as was my previous one. It shouldn't be a matter of luck: we should all have good care.

See more popular forum discussions.