• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Cracking the Code" -- father unravels medical mystery

Allyson

The article made it sound like $10,000 just for the kid, and the price would have been higher in the past. (Now $7K or less.)

"In November 2012, Gene by Gene, Ltd started offering whole genome sequencing at an introductory price of $5,495 (with a minimum requirement of 3 samples per order). Currently the price is $6,995 and the minimum requirement has been removed." From wikipedia.

I liked this. "As of June 2012, there are 69 nearly complete human genomes publicly available."

but does the human genome project contribute anything? I thought theywere well uneder way and guessed th4ey would have thousands of sequences up by now? just a guess.

Ally

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Fascinating stuff ... I hope we can do something with our 23andMe data! I've only got about 5 sets of data from ME patients here so far though.
I can send you mine if you're interested.

anciendaze

The Human Genome Project was only a start, and it concentrated on the part of the genome which codes for proteins known to be used. This amounts to 2% of your DNA, and the amount actually active at any particular time may only be 1%. A project named ENCODE went much deeper in trying to find out what was going on in the "junk DNA".

There is a great deal of controversy about what constitutes functional DNA. Some of the higher figures quoted are 80%, and even the possibility this will ultimately turn out to be close to 100%. There are critics who claim the whole project was mismanaged from a scientific standpoint, and the result should be much closer to earlier estimates.

What gets overlooked in the controversy is that even the critics are saying that 9% of the DNA is active and functional. Depending on what you consider the previous percentage of non-junk DNA to be this could be 4.5 or even 9 times earlier estimates. This is a huge gap in our understanding.

If you can find a match with some known problem you may save a life, and Stephen Kingsmore has done just that with technology that can sequence the whole genome of a sick infant in less that 24 hours. I've read that he was able to identify the genetic disease in 28 out of 44 cases, and could recommend a treatment in 14 cases. Perhaps 5 infants have been saved so far as a result. Unfortunately, this is still a minority of cases.

We are still very much in the dark about what a lot of this genetic material is doing. I'm working on a blog post on what has been discovered so far. A great deal of our understanding of basic human biology is in the process of changing, and I really wonder how the medical profession is going to deal with this.

wastwater

Leukodystrophy/leukoencephalopathy can be very serious and quite obvious like in lorenzos oil.
I saw another example of leukodystrophy in the documentary,the curious case of the Clarke brothers,that caused them to become childlike again,so there are different types,Im wondering which one would be most likely to mimic ME/cfs as far as leukodystrophys go it would be a fairly mild one,any ideas I know there are lots of leukodystrophys.I was surprised to see ADEM comes under Leukodystrophy
http://ulf.org/types-of-leukodystrophy