• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coxsackie A results - Need Expert Input

PhoenixBurger

I mentioned this in another thread but I would like some more input. Especially from anyone who is 100% certain in their response (please identify yourself as such lol). Doctor Google has failed me on this one. SOC Thanks for your input. Just want to get some others comments!

Coxsackie A IGG/IGM Antibody
-----------------------------------------------
Coxsackie A7 IgG: 1:800
Coxsackie A9 IgG: 1:1600
Coxsackie A16 IgG: 1:800
Coxsackie A24 IgG: 1:800

Coxsackie A7 IgM: NEGATIVE
Coxsackie A9 IgM: NEGATIVE
Coxsackie A16 IgM: NEGATIVE
Coxsackie A24 IgM: NEGATIVE

Is this a new, acute, currently active infection with Coxsackie A ?

Note: IGM is acute with pretty much everything I've ever read. (CMV, etc)
IGG has always reflected past infection. Established antibodies.
Not new, current viral activity.

Thanks.

globalpilot

IgG is past infection or chronic infection if really high according to Dr Charles Stratton. I had a phone conversation with him about this very issue. He studies chlamydia pneumona and I happened to be in your situation (high IgG, normal IgM)

I also looked for this via google tonight and could not find a good reference quickly.

But I am 100% certain about this simply because I trust Dr Stratton.

You seem to have some very meaningful results there.

lansbergen

Note: IGM is acute with pretty much everything I've ever read. (CMV, etc)
IGG has always reflected past infection. Established antibodies.
Not new, current viral activity.

Thats right as far as I know but I am not sure whether IGG can be produced with an ongoing/chronic infection.

PhoenixBurger

Thanks globalpilot lansbergen

1) Chronic seems to imply that the virus has reactivated in the past, and may react again. But it doesn't really clear up whether the virus is currently active and in need of suppression. IgM is usually the "right now" indicator.

2) Please let me know if you can find documentation about Coxsackie IGG equating to current viral activity in need of suppression. I couldn't find it either.

3) With other viruses, IgM is required for current viral activity. Having "NEGATIVE" on all the IgM's is pretty strange.

I guess the logic would be similar to this:

During the first infection of Coxsackie, the IGG levels typically reach a certain level. Maybe 1:40 or something. If someone is at 1:1600, this implies numerous reactivations in their past. Unfortunately it doesn't tell us one iota about whats happening at the current moment. And taking a powerful immune booster for 4 months is a big step to take without evidence that its currently causing problems. Especially when I don't have any Coxsackie A symptoms. And I am concerned about having pre-autoimmune disease.

Is Stratton a Lyme doctor?

globalpilot

Dr Stratton mentions no correlation to number of reactivations. He specifically says: IgM acute, IgG high is past infection, IgG extremely high is chronic and ongoing.

You don't mention the normal levels on your report. If it was done at ARUP, as mine was, the normal was 1:10 and therefore your levels seem very extremely high. It is kind of funny that you would have all strains though .... unless there is some cross reactivity.

But as far as confirmation goes, can you do the endoscopy and send it to Dr Chia ?

Dr Stratton studies chlamydia pneumonia and talked to me quite a bit about IgG vs IgM. Lucky for me, he takes calls from patients.

PhoenixBurger

globalpilot

It doesnt say what is normal on the report, but it does say what "negative" equates to, which is < 1:100. That means you can be nearly 1:100 and be completely negative. So if you have an actual infection which you eventually clear, I would think "normal" IgG might be 100-300 or something. Totally guessing here.

At the very least it sounds like mine was a multiple of yours, so maybe my numbers on your report would look like:

1:80
1:160

What is the endoscopy? Is there some way to confirm coxsackie A virus outside of these vague antibody titers because I would *LOVE* that! I am terrified to take the Equilibrant because it boosts my immune system and Im not sure whether I'm dealing with autoimmunity or not. It would be very bad if I was. If I knew I had a strong coxsackie infection currently going on, I would be confident to take the Equilibrant. I asked my doctor if there was a PCR to confirm Coxsackie A and she said "No".

EDIT: Nevermind I think I found it: http://phoenixrising.me/interviews-...unoperoxidase-stain-test-request-form-dr-chia