The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Cow's Milk Protein Intolerance in Adolescents and Young Adults with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by JaimeS, May 19, 2016.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Huh. So this study found cow's milk protein intolerance present in about 1/3 of adolescents with CFS.

Limitations:
    • "CFS" is what exactly
    • Measures were somewhat subjective, but still reasonable IMO, including symptoms after ingesting milk
    Sci-hub is down, am having trouble finding additional proxies.

Gemini, Valentijn, Effi and 1 other person like this.
  2. CCC

CCC Senior Member

The measures are all short-term.

It's an old study.

But it's probably right.

a2 milk has swept the allergy community here.

Pity sci-hub is down.

3. msf

msf Senior Member

Lactose is a FODMAP, and lots of people with ME have gut issues, so this finding isn´t very surprising.

ryan31337 likes this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    This is interesting... I don't tolerate milk products (didn't realise for many years) I get eczema as a result and had a positive test on a hydrogen breath test for lactose. (tested negative for glucose)

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

This one works for me: http://sci-hub.cc/

6. CCC

CCC Senior Member

Lactose is a sugar. This study was looking at proteins (according to the title), but just looked at whole milk reactions (according to the abstract).

It's possible to be intolerant of the protein, or intolerant of lactose, or both. We'd need to see the whole paper to really know what they did.

I can see sci-hub, but it won;t search for the doi properly.

7. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

Interesting, my daughter and I are both CMP intolerant and we both have ME.

JaimeS likes this.
  8. CCC

CCC Senior Member

I think the intolerance is most likely a result of the illness condition for many people.

Certainly the food intolerances seem to accumulate in people as they get sicker. It's probably due to gut damage.

JaimeS, redrachel76, John Mac and 2 others like this.
  9. msf

msf Senior Member

It didn´t look like that kind of study at first glance, but you may be right. I hadn´t heard of people being intolerant of the protein, but I haven´t looked into it much.

10. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I was born with the CMP intolerance and certain my daughter was. I assumed for years it was the lactose my maternal side of the family have problems with, but as we can't tolerate lactose free milk it must be the protein.
    It has definitely got worse as I've got older though, I substitute with goat's milk.

11. u&iraok

u&iraok Senior Member

U.S.
    I'm curious to find out if raw milk is more tolerated. Supposedly pasteurization destroys enzymes used to digest milk (lactase for the assimilation of lactose; galactase for the assimilation of galactose; phosphatase for the assimilation of calcium). Also, there may be other issues at play such as synthetic vitamin D and Bovine Growth Hormone. I'm assuming the study used pasteurized milk?

The Dairy Industry has an interest in us drinking lots of cows milk. It's too bad we can't raise other animals for milk such as goats, though their milk doesn't have much folate or B12. I remember learning about a type of antelope whose milk was similar to human milk, but of course it's in Africa. But it would be nice to research a more appropriate animal's milk.

Another theory out there is that there are two kinds of cows, A1 and A2 and it's the A1 cows that produce milk that is hard to digest. I wonder if milk used from A2 cows would make a difference. This is from an article written in 2014:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/a1-milk-a2-milk-america

JaimeS likes this.
  12. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Regarding n= 1 studies ( ;) )! I'm intolerant to milk proteins, but not to lactose.

-J

13. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I'm intolerant to both. So CCC's hypothesis is proven :)

JaimeS likes this.
  14. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

:rofl:

...well, it's sure enough for some people's hypotheses, @SickOfSickness !

SickOfSickness likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.