• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cowden Lyme Protocol

Daffodil

Hello. Anyone here had success with Cowden's protocol?

I have started it 2 days ago. I must say that even 1 drop of Samento 3 times a day is making me much worse! Not sure how I will work up to 10 drops drops, or even if I should!

I also started Cumanda.

xo

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Daffodil
just start with 1 drop a day in a glass full of water, sip the water during the day. You have to back down to what your body will accept. Samento is very powerful.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I found that I had to start with 1/8th drop of Samento. Yes it is very powerful! But raising the dose, only as tolerated, I was able to get up to 10 drops a day within 3 months. But, I also had to take Pinella, Parsley, Burbur and Smilax to help with detox pathways.

Sushi

Daffodil

hi all. thanks. how can you get 1/8th of a drop out?

I wish we could find out what happens to people who do not have lyme and take this stuff.

Last edited:

Daffodil

I have been reading some lyme forums and many people seem to favor the Byron White formulas over the Cowden...anyone tried these?

Daffodil

hi all. just wanted to say that i have decided to stop the Cowden protocol for 1 1/2 days, then start with 1/2 drop samento and not do cumanda at all.

i followed the instructions exactly and it was too much for me. i am just too sick. i spend all day in bed thinking about dying!

Sushi

I had to stop samento for 3 or 4 days at first, go back and do the Cowden detox protocol with Pinella, Parsley and Burbur (plus smilax), then Samento was much easier to take and I could steadily increase the dose.

Sushi

Daffodil

Sushi.....i have stopped it for 2 1/2 days now. I got negative Babesia FISH results. I will wait for Pinella, Burber, etc to come in the mail and then maybe start Samento next week at 1/2 drop. I will leave out Cumanda altogether for now. I really should have done what you suggested this time! I am not good at all right now.

I will talk to doc before I start Cumanda I think....see if I even need it. I did have slightly high IgG antibodies to Bartonella.

Sushi

@Daffodil
For me the key was restarting at a dose I could tolerate without side effects and that was 1/8th drop. Then with the addition (also starting with only a fraction of a drop) of Pinella and Parsley, I have been able to increase Samento up to 14 drops without side-effects. Smilax and Burbur didn't bother me at the usual dose.

Sushi

Daffodil

so i received a reply from my doctor. i have not taken any of the lyme medicines for many days now, because i had too much stuff to do. i do feel pretty bad. i am going to start it again tomorrow.

because samento made me so sick, my doctor told me to start with banderol, and also not to start the cumanda at the same time.

this time, i will be using the pinella, parsley root, and burbur too. only problem is, this is like a full time job and is very very draining.

i wish i had more faith that this is really a lyme issue. maybe it will be confirmed somehow one day. after antibiotics, aren't the spirochetes supposed to come out of hiding and be more able to be found in the blood by PCR etc?

Sushi

because samento made me so sick, my doctor told me to start with banderol, and also not to start the cumanda at the same time.

this time, i will be using the pinella, parsley root, and burbur too. only problem is, this is like a full time job and is very very draining....

On this protocol, when you start alternating between samento and banderol (approximately 10 days of each), you have to wait two days after stopping samento before starting banderol. I have made this switch twice now and both time I felt really bad for the 2 days without either antimicrobial remedy. Today I started banderol again and immediately felt good.

Any ideas?

Sushi

Daffodil

thanks all. well ..i am now trying to type up a schedule for banderol and the pinella, parsley root, and burbur. when i took samento, i started it at 1 drop 3 times a day as per the instructions. for now, i am not going to take samento at all.

With banderol...do i take it twice a day or three times? the bottle says twice. I guess i will start with 1 drop banderol twice a day.

how many times should i take the other stuff? different websites say different things. i have read to take burbur 16 times a day and also 3 times a day...what do i start with?

and the pinella and parsley root? does anyone know?

i wonder if i should have stopped everything...but it felt so good to have a 2 week break from keeping track of meds 24/7!

xoxo

It can be kind of tough in the beginning with Samento, I was told that as the bacteria die off they also release the heavy metals that they cleave onto.

Perhaps some chlorella and a look at Dietrich Klinghardts detox protocol could help alleviate some of your suffering.

Samento does work, it takes time and persistence--the fact you are reacting would suggest an active infection.

Most Lymee's have B12 issues as well and that can make you pretty ill in a myriad of ways.

Daffodil

hi 2many! thanks! yes...samento made me SOOO sick right away! i couldnt believe it. i do inject b12 regularly

i think i have figured this out. i will start with 1 drop banderol twice a day....10 drops pinella and burbur at the same time in the same water (i read you can do this) twice a day.....and 10 drops of the parsley twice a day.

i do this for 1 week, then raise the banderol by 1 drop

but i think i am supposed to lessen the parsley at some point to 4 drops? not sure about this

Sushi

thanks all. well ..i am now trying to type up a schedule for banderol and the pinella, parsley root, and burbur. when i took samento, i started it at 1 drop 3 times a day as per the instructions. for now, i am not going to take samento at all.

With banderol...do i take it twice a day or three times? the bottle says twice. I guess i will start with 1 drop banderol twice a day.

how many times should i take the other stuff? different websites say different things. i have read to take burbur 16 times a day and also 3 times a day...what do i start with?

and the pinella and parsley root? does anyone know?

i wonder if i should have stopped everything...but it felt so good to have a 2 week break from keeping track of meds 24/7!
xoxo

Banderol was just as hard for me to start as Samento. Again, I could only manage 1/8 drop per day at first. The protocol for Banderol says twice a day, but in the beginning I just did it as tolerated. I'm not saying that 1/8 drop is a therapeutic dose--but it is the means that some of us have to use to get to a therapeutic dose. I drop of Banderol was, for me, horrible at first!

Sushi

Daffodil

hi sushi. well this time, i am leaving out cumanda so maybe that will help...and i am adding a more detox stuff.

i guess the idea is to increase banderol every week until you get up to 20 drops. if i am able to do this, am i supposed to add in the samento after 20 weeks?

arent u supposed to alternate? i clearly need help with this..too foggy. wonder if there is a reasonably priced naturopath i could consult

Sushi

i guess the idea is to increase banderol every week until you get up to 20 drops. if i am able to do this, am i supposed to add in the samento after 20 weeks?

arent u supposed to alternate? i clearly need help with this..too foggy. wonder if there is a reasonably priced naturopath i could consult

It is written pretty clearly on the sheet you have--not sure I could express it better. Just keep asking questions on this thread. The only difference from the sheet is that you are starting with Banderol instead of Samento. The target dose of Banderol is 20 drops twice a day = 40 drops per day. It will likely take a long time to reach that dose. You can increase as tolerated--it isn't a fixed schedule.

You start rotating between Samento and Banderol not at 20 weeks, but at 2 to 3 months. He told me 3 months but has told others 2. It may vary according to how many drops you are able to tolerate. The important thing to remember is that while you can go directly from Banderol to Samento, you can't do that going from Samento to Banderol--you have to leave 2 days free with neither Samento or Banderol.

I think consulting a naturopath would just confuse things as he/she would no doubt use a different protocol.

Sushi