May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Coverage from IACFS/ME Florida conference, 27-30 Oct 2016

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Today's programme:

MEMum, justy, Never Give Up and 6 others like this.
  3. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

I haven't heard re Livestreaming. I only read that Cort Johnson would tweet, also now Mark has said they have put together some tweet coverage. So I doubt it will be streamed at all. There may be some other tweeters that might turn up too @Sasha

Here's Cort's twit link for your top post https://twitter.com/CortJohnson

4. Mark

Mark Former CEO

Sofa, UK
    I've notified our team at the conference about this thread, so hopefully there'll be an opportunity (in a very busy day for them) to keep an eye on it and just maybe pass on some questions to the presenters, or answer some of your questions themselves. But of course it's hard to do everything...listening, tweeting, and taking notes may be quite enough for them to contend with!...but anyway, let us know if there's anything on the agenda that's of particular interest to you (other than Whittemore and Peterson/Fluge/Mella, of course...).

simeyss, slysaint, MEMum and 5 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just looking at Cort's Twitter feed and he was tweeting all day yesterday, which I hadn't realised - hope he'll keep that up today and in the days to come! Hope our PR tweeters can manage something too. I'm sure it's not easy! :)

MEMum, justy, waiting and 5 others like this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    From another thread:

Never Give Up, AndyPR and aimossy like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    AndyPR and aimossy like this.
  8. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    @Sasha not live feed for today?

9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Not that I or @aimossy are aware of, but that doesn't mean that there isn't! :)

If anyone becomes aware of a livefeed, I hope they'll post.

@Mark, that's a useful question for one of our on-the-spot people to ask.

@Geoffrey Hallmann - a bit cheeky to ask you for a favour immediately you join the forum but are you able to find out, if you're at the conference? We'd all love to follow a livestream, if there is one! :)

MEMum and mango like this.
  10. All Good Sasha - I am going to be attempting to do that throughout the day.

simeyss, MEMum, justy and 6 others like this.
  11. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

Today's conference agenda looks interesting. Would have been helpful to have a live feed.

mango and aimossy like this.
  12. Ysabelle-S

Just to add, I caught up last night with tweets from yesterday's events, and there was a lot of really great stuff.

MEMum and Sasha like this.
  13. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

I wonder how much Criteria problems play into this issue for researchers and not just about prejudice and lack of funding?

simeyss likes this.
  14. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

simeyss, Jenny TipsforME and Comet like this.
  15. Hi Guys .... I am currently at the conference. We have just had an introduction from Fred Friedberg who has outlined the conference for the next four days, and particularly to speakers and workshops for today.

Currently listening to Vicky Whittemore from the NIH who has provided an extensive outline of the NIH approach to ME/CFS Research.

Of significance is the fact that the NIH has never had an application from a young researcher for an NIH grant for ME/CFS. They have put this down to the fact that researchers were scared away from the field. They are actively encouraging grant applications in this area in order to build the research pool.

Internationally speaking, the NIH is looking to develop collaboration and provide funding to international research.

NIH Website: www.nih.gov/mecfs

NIH are doing a grant research workshop this afternoon to look at how to be successful at grant applications to the NIH

16. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Couple of earlier tweets

Hutan, Comet, Sasha and 2 others like this.
  17. Ysabelle-S

Looking forward to hearing more about today's events.

Daisymay likes this.
  18. Question has just been asked - Should the NIH apologise for the years of neglect? Whittmore will take that one back to Francis Collins to discuss. If there is to be an apology - Whittemore would be the one providing it. She regarded this as "an interesting question".

19. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

Daisymay, Comet, Sasha and 1 other person like this.
  20. #IACFSMEConf

Whittemore just gave two indications about foreign grants:

1. Mega Study in UK - Would look at discussions on this. Thinks its interesting. Have not discussed with an UK researchers as yet.

2. Grants - Foreign grant applications have an extra level of scrutiny to them. The NIH would look at whether a foreign research site had a particular uniqueness to it - such as a specific expertise or cohort.

simeyss, MEMum, justy and 8 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.