• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

coursera.org: Free Class on the Human Microbiome

alicec

I have done the course (just the lecture part, wasn't interested in assignments etc). I do have a scientific background and knew a reasonable amount about the subject already so was able to skip through fairly quickly.

I had hoped to learn something new but didn't really - or not much - though it was interesting to refresh my memory about a lot of the background I had forgotten and to put the info into a wider context.

If you know little about the subject then this would be a very good course. Some scientific knowledge would help to progress more quickly.

I was a bit taken aback with the bizarre pronunciation of the latin names of the bacterial phyla, genera etc from people in the Knight lab - undoubtedly the result of Knight himself's mispronunciation. A minor quibble.

Last edited: