Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Countess of Mar's Formal Complaint to the BBC

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Daisymay, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

2. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

From the link.......

That's news to me, when did this happen?

3. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Yay for the Countess of Mar!

MeSci, Hutan, J.G and 35 others like this.
  4. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

The BBC has shown a consistent bias against proper treatments for ME. When sharpe was promoting the long term follow up for PACE the today program interviewed him but didn't challenge him about the way he was spinning results. Also Dr Hammond who works at crawley's clinic interviewed her on radio bristol without challenging her.

5. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Yes, Radio Bristol has been pretty good for us but i was amazed they would carry an interview by a colleague (her boss, I think). That's advertising, not journalism.

On the plus side, great letter from the Countess. Beautifully concise and clear.

MeSci, Jan, Luther Blissett and 7 others like this.
  6. Deepwater

Deepwater Senior Member

Many, many thanks - yet again - to the Countess of Mar.
    One wonders how deep the rot goes in the UK establishment. If ignorance were all we had to deal with we would surely have got the message through by now.

MeSci, Hutan, Jan and 12 others like this.
  7. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

That's a humdinger of a letter. I particularly perked up at point 1.....

MeSci, hellytheelephant, Jan and 6 others like this.
  8. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Brilliant letter. So grateful to the Countess of Mar. If the BBC does not respond we will have to find a way of alerting the media.
    Would it help if we all write letters too, or should we wait?

MeSci, Jan, Luther Blissett and 5 others like this.
  9. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Definitely wait.

Luther Blissett and trishrhymes like this.
  10. Large Donner

If this bit is not true its going to devalue her letter to the BBC.......

Although she fully deserves to be under investigation, if there is an investigation currently running the case hasn't been heard and there is no current judgement.

Also the BBC will just give their usual standardised response claiming they have covered the issue from different angles before and "this is a story that covered the science behind ......as published in the Dutch paper". They will reply with some spiel claiming to quote her saying that "its not a one size fits all treatment" bla bla bla and that she said "its a biological illness".

Luther Blissett likes this.
  11. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    It is true, but I think the latest case was due to be determined last week. I expect her influential friends will have ensured that she was exonerated,although I haven't heard the outcome as yet.

Jan, Luther Blissett, L'engle and 3 others like this.
  12. Large Donner

Wow when was she reported who reported her and what is the complaint?

Luther Blissett and lnester7 like this.
  13. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Excellent letter. The Countess of Mar really does have a knack of getting a message across.

I think it really is the case that the SMC is a political component engineered to manipulate the media message to the UK public, because the political fallout from PACE etc, is probably scaring them a great deal.

Influencing our own media is probably very tricky therefore, but maybe non-UK media might be more inclined to expose the BBC?

MeSci, Jan, Luther Blissett and 3 others like this.
  14. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    The BBC's creativity seems to be faltering :rolleyes:

15. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

I imagine it is confidential. Rightly so, I think until and unless the complaint is upheld, as I think doctors should be protected from publicity about what may be false accusations. Though I admit to some curiosity in this case.
    I may be wrong, since the Countess has made it public, though not the details, in this letter.

16. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Based on the extensive biomedical evidence, the FITNET trial cannot offer hope or promise of recovery and to broadcast that it can is in breach of numerous medical codes of conduct and to mislead patients by promising a cure when there is no such certainty is in breach of the General Medical Council Regulations as set out in “Good Medical Practice” (2006):

This bit in particular stood out for me as an actionable legal issue.

MeSci, Jan, taniaaust1 and 5 others like this.
  17. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Yes I can confirm it is true.

Luther Blissett and Countrygirl like this.
  18. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Before the days of social media, this sort of scandal was much easier to bury and hide from the wider world. They still live in the past I think, and do not realise it is only a matter of time before the truth finally does win through.

19. Large Donner

I agree.

Yup.

Yes, that's why unless the outcome is already known to some and it has been upheld, using a given complaint to shine a light on someones many dubious claims may not be the best tactic.

Hmm, one really wonders what the outcome of any hearing was now as if Crawley has been cleared surely Lady Mar would have thought better of using the issue of the "under investigation" issue in the letter to he BBC. But also when was the complaint because its seems to have been heard really quickly if its already resolved?

I suppose in the past when we have heard of ME docs being reported to the GMC it is themselves who come out and tell people as its usually a vindictive complaint. In Crawleys case she has kept this so quiet.

Jan and Luther Blissett like this.
  20. PhoenixDown

PhoenixDown Senior Member

UK
    I think she should have stated that people like Esther Crawley are conflating ME with chronic fatigue.

See more popular forum discussions.