Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Countess of Mar asks Dept. of Health about prosecutions against parents

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by MeSci, Jul 1, 2017.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Written question HL274: The Countess of Mar 29-06-2017

Department of Health

HL274

Her Majesty's Government how many cases of (1) Munchausen's syndrome by proxy, and (2) fabricated or induced illness, have been prosecuted against parents of children diagnosed with myalgic encephalomyelitis or chronic fatigue syndrome in each year since 2010 for which figures are available; how many of those cases were successful; how many were withdrawn; and how many resulted in an acquittal.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/p...ents/written-question/Lords/2017-06-29/HL274/

2. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Highly Vexatious

Hopefully she can dig around in this subject. It really needs tackling. So many parents and children suffering because of abusive attitudes, abuse of power, not to mention false illness delusions in the medical and social care professions.

3. Revel

Revel Senior Member

My parents were given the stark choice to either allow me to be admitted to a mental hospital, aged 15, or be threatened with prosecution and have me forcibly removed from their care. They reluctantly agreed to hospitalisation, where I remained for 9 months, subjected to an appalling regime of "treatment".

Meanwhile, my parents were made to undergo the humiliating ordeal of individual therapy with a psychiatrist in order to ascertain which of them was the most to blame for inciting and supporting my imaginary illness. The whole process caused untold emotional damage to all of us that took years to come to terms with.

This was in 1980. It breaks my heart to know that little, if anything, has changed in almost 40 years. :(

4. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

@Revel How unspeakably awful.. I hope there is some sort of justice coming soon for people like you and your family. :heart:

5. Revel

Revel Senior Member

Thank you, @Silencio. My greatest wish is that I live long enough to see an end to such circumstances and for PWME to be treated with the respect and compassion that they deserve, even if a cure is yet to be found.

6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

Not only does it still go on but it goes on behind closed doors. Many families feel unable or fearful about speaking out because they are afraid of the consequences.

I know that privacy is important for the protection of the child and I completely respect that but I suspect that this is also used against families.

In the UK it seems that kids can be allowed to go hungry and dirty, not attend school, some disappear completely off the radar and no one does anything. I know of someone who desperately tried to get some support from child services for a child who was at actual risk of long harm because of a (not ME) health condition that wasn't being managed, but because the child was 15 social services just dragged their feet until the kid turned 16 and so was no longer their problem. They completely ignored the hospital team.

But when it's a child with ME....when it suits their own agenda....

7. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Grrrrrrr that is infuriating.

8. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

The same happened to me, though I got the impression that my mother (largely due to her position as a teacher) was able to better deflect some of the criticism, and it never quite progressed to the 'forced committal' stage.
    I do not have full details on what happened, I'd need to try to dig through any papers I may have from that time.

9. Revel

Revel Senior Member

Unfortunately, my mother had a history of depression and agoraphobia in her youth (due to the untimely death of her own mother). I don't think that the doctors even bothered to look further for a diagnosis, where I was concerned, beyond "like mother, like daughter" :meh:.

I am sorry that your adolescence was similarly affected, @RogerBlack.

GreyOwl, Jan, ladycatlover and 19 others like this.
  10. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Hearing stories like these make me feel very lucky. When I became sick as a child my mother eventually convinced the GP to send me to a paediatrician after a massive fight. The paediatrician acknowledged something was wrong but could only send me to a child psychiatrist...yeah, cos that's logical for a kid that loved school :confused:

Thankfully a friend of the family recommended a neurologist with interest in ME/CFS & I was fortunate enough to be covered under my parent's private health cover. I got a firm diagnosis from him, which completely appeased the authorities over my 2x years off school & limited curriculum after returning.

This was mid-late 90s so I guess I snuck in before the BPS scumbags got a grip on things...

11. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

This House of Lords PQ from the Countess of Mar obviously follows on from the BBC 'File on 4' programme

Other things are happening 'behind the scenes' as a result of this programme as well

CS

12. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

I do not like to be picky on matters such as this, as I agree with the objectives, but I am not sure about the terminology used or what information is sought.

Language of "prosecuted" and "acquittal" is normally that of criminal law. Is that what is intended? I fear that the response may not relate to the information required.

13. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    :)

14. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

I asked the DWP for the sort-of-related question on how many actions had been taken against them for equality act violations, and they responded they had no central records of legal actions. Which kind of surprised. I need to chase that.

15. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08vyly5 for anyone wondering what that File of 4 thing is. (Im only getting the voices from the program thou)

edit, its a radio show, so I assume it is only talking

16. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

I hope so, it would not be too hard to try and bury it again :bang-head:

17. Invisible Woman

I believe that is exactly what the Countess is asking about. These cases are brought to Family Court and the proceedings are heard behind closed doors. The court hears testimony from social services and "experts". I don't know if that counts as criminal vs civil law though.

18. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

This is the point. I don't think such cases would in general be said to involve prosecution or acquittal.

ladycatlover likes this.
  19. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

I believe they can. Family court proceedings have full legal weight. They can grant restraining orders, prosecute domestic violence cases. I very much doubt that C of Marr doesn't know what she's on about.

20. Invisible Woman

I believe they are. As far as I am aware parents are at risk of prosecution. If found guilty then the child may be removed from them. Or at least the legal right to make decisions for the child.

I don't know if we have any lawyers who can answer this for us?

See more popular forum discussions.