• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could UK research ethics regulator monitor publication bias?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Just got notification of this by AllTrials.
Research published in BMC Medical Ethics has found that NHS research ethics committees (RECs) could monitor bias in clinical trial publication and outcome reporting. RECs review all applications for NHS research conducted in the UK and determine whether the research is ethical. There are currently more than 60 RECs across the UK that each year review around 6,000 research applications.

Researchers working at the ‘Hampshire A’ research ethics committee reviewed 116 studies completed between January 2010 and December 2011. They reviewed study application forms to compare original primary and secondary outcomes (what the study was set up and designed to investigate) with the outcomes that were actually published in academic journals.

The research found that only 37/116 studies were published in an academic journal (32%), and over half (57%) of published studies had primary or secondary outcomes which differed from those in the original trial application form.

All UK NHS research must go through ethical approval, which means that RECs have unique access to the data on which studies are conducted and what the studies are designed to explore. The results demonstrate that it would be possible for RECs to monitor publication and outcome reporting bias for UK research.
Could this be used to expose dodgy ME research?