1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Time Change Equals Jet Lag, ME/CFS Style
Jody Smith marvels at how much difference one hour can make to those with ME/CFS, as much of the world has endured The Time Change in recent weeks ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Could treating mono/glandular fever stop ME ever happening?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Shell, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Shell

Shell Senior Member

England
    Having seen the gut wrenching appeal from candie about her son I have wondered about mono/glandular fever and the whole nine yards of EBV and it's effects.

According to an NHS site glandular fever lasts about 3 weeks and doesn't require treatment.

So I had it twice 6 weeks each time.
    So many people get mono and then get something worse like ME that I am wondering why we don't aggressively use antivirals to kick EBV in the butt and maybe prevent the fallout?

The more serious illneses that seem linked to EBV the more I wonder why antivirals aren't mainstream the way antibiotics are.
    Anyone know?
    leela, Tammy and SickOfSickness like this.
  2. vamah

vamah Senior Member

Washington , DC area
    I hadn't thought about this before, but you have a good point. Doctors always say the only treatment for mono is rest, but that isn't true at all. Even a mild antiviral with few risks or side effects like acyclovir works to some extent against EBV. So why not treat people with it? It is even dirt cheap, so insurance companies wouldn't have a coronary about it like they do with the more expensive antivirals. Anyone with a medical or science background know why they don't do this?
  3. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    Years ago when my daughter had a bad case of mono........I panicked because I was afraid she would end up like me with CFS.(It's always in the back of my mind) I wasn't really educated at the time about anti-virals and the only info I came across was to use l-lysine...........so I gave her high doses of it...but don't remember how much or for how long. Really good question shell.
  4. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    I think they are trialing EBV vaccines mainly because of increasing information about all the cancers that can be tied back to the EBV.
    Valentijn likes this.
  5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Cost i think is the main issue with treating these viral illnesses, even chickenpox in adult should be treated with famvir. My cfs started with cmv mono, followed by chickenpox and then ebv mono all within 6 months, i always think if i was treated initially with antivirals would i have got cfs????? They say 10% of people who get mono have prolonged fatigue states that last for months/yrs.
    SickOfSickness likes this.
  6. Fuschia

Fuschia

Is there a vaccine for mono? This question is something I've always wondered, when I mention to people that my M.E. Started with what was probably glandular fever, the look of fear I get sometimes from people who say that mono was the worst illness of their life, it took them a few years to regain their full health and energy back.....Sounds a lot to me like me/cfs lite. Why is there a flu vaccine and not a mono vaccine?
  7. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Primarily because the entrenched belief in the medical world is that everyone's immune system can handle EBV, so there's no need for a vaccine. More recent research is calling that assumption into question, but it will be a long time before mainstream medical buys into the idea that EBV and its cohorts can cause serious illness.
  8. Fuschia

Fuschia

Is mono like the flu in that it's a slightly different strain each time I wonder? I know there's like HHV-6, herpes, EBV etc but could there be sub strains within those? I wonder is the mono people get now maybe more severe than the mono people got twenty years ago, as anecdotally it seems to be, and that more people now are getting their immune systems pushed over the edge into ME CFS. Just a pet theory !
  9. Creekee

Creekee Senior Member

Arizona
    I can vouch for the ancient mono ala 1978 being severe...

:alien:
    Fuschia likes this.
  10. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    There was something published recently that mentioned a possible different strain of ebv that causes cancer. I dont have a link but it was only in the last few weeks it came out. google search may find it?

See more popular forum discussions.