• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could Martin Lewis be of help to PwME?

dangermouse

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2017/03/24/young-journalists-looking-mentor/

I've copied the text below from the above linked article:

Martin Lewis is offering this opportunity for a young journalist:

"Broadcast journalism is a notoriously difficult profession to get into, and even once you’ve broken down the door, many find it tough to move up the ladder.

This is even worse for those who don’t come from the traditional journalistic bastions of private schools and Oxbridge – yet to better reflect our society, journalism needs to diversify – and I want to do my bit to make that happen.

So I’ve agreed £24,000 spread over the next three years to fund the John Schofield Trust’s Young Journalist Mentee Scheme (future donations of course are based on it meeting targets)."

Edited to make it clearer that the above text is from the Martin Lewis blog, sorry for any confusion :)

Could we do anything with this?

Anyone know any young journalists?

One of the mentors is Channel 5 Health Correspondent.

My husband saw it and wondered if it was worth mentioning here.

Last edited:

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
That is very generous of you.

It would be nice if the Trust would commit to covering ME (like, x pieces per year or something) - no doubt you're familiar with all the reasons why ME needs fair coverage - the whole ME narrative is a huge source of compelling and provocative material, a win-win situation, so should be something for them to consider.

Hip

This funding has nothing to do with ME/CFS, but rather is trying to support journalists from diverse backgrounds, in order to better reflect the cultural variations in society.

dangermouse

Thanks @Hip just wondered if a fresh youngster who was aware of the ME history could have worked with the C5 Health Correspondent in some way or other.

Do you think approaching Martin Lewis (himself) re: the ME PACE scandal would be worth a shot. Maybe one of you knowledgeable members, not me.

It's a long shot, but you never know.