The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Could chloroquine be useful in treating ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by RYO, Nov 21, 2017.

1. RYO

RYO Senior Member

USA
    It appears researchers studying Zika virus have found chloroquine useful as potential antiviral treatment.

Pubmed search results in several other studies.

"Targeting endosomal acidification by chloroquine analogs as a promising strategy for the treatment of emerging viral diseases."

If we had enough funding, perhaps chloroquine could be studied as potential treatment for ME/CFS.

ChrisD, Mary and pattismith like this.
  2. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

Perhaps. Might help the autoimmune part too. From wikipedia:
    I started hydroxychloroquine to help with my auto-antibodies and prevent it developing into full blown autoimmune disease. The first 3 weeks I felt a huge improvement, but then was exposed to mold and VOCs and had a huge flare/relapse where I was bedbound for 3 months. For reasons, too long to explain, the dosage I'm on after the first month of hydroxychloroquine is 1/2 of what I initially started with. And 1/4 of what one of my rheumatologists suggested me starting at. So I'm hoping I can increase it and see some benefits again.

RYO and pattismith like this.
  3. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Dr Montoya and Dr Bonilla have just started using hydfoxycloroquine with their patients

RYO and pattismith like this.
  4. RYO

RYO Senior Member

USA
    Do you know what dose? Also do you know in which setting Dr Montoya is using this medication? (ie in conjunction with other antivirals? Helpful for fatigue, brain fog, or musculoskeletal complaints? Medication taken long term?)

Also, I wonder if hydroxychloroquine has same antiviral effects as chloroquine?

5. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    I will check on the dose

His clinic is prescribing it in conjunction with Valacyclovir, LDN, dark chocolate, and an aggressive rest protocol

pattismith likes this.
  6. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Just anecdotally: I took chloroquine as an anti-malarial but I didn't notice any effect on my ME/CFS symptoms.

RYO likes this.
  7. pattismith

pattismith Senior Member

I already take dark chocolate, I am on the good way :rofl:

boombachi and frederic83 like this.
  8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Chloroquine has been shown to be antiviral for CVB3 in vitro, but this antiviral effect might not manifest in vivo, as when you take the drug orally at normal doses, as according to some calculations I made, you don't get high enough plasma concentrations of the drug.

Chloroquine pharmacokinetic calculations are hard to figure out though, because in the body the tissue concentration of chloroquine is around 300 times higher than the blood plasma concentration, and so I am not sure if my calculation (which was based on blood plasma rather than tissue levels) properly represents how chloroquine acts in the body.

If I base the calculations on the 300 times higher tissue concentrations, then oral chloroquine does show some modest antiviral effects against coxsackievirus B.

One downside of chloroquine is that it can cause psychosis as a side effect, and in ME/CFS patients who already have neuropsychological symptoms resulting from their illness, perhaps this might be a concern.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    pattismith and RYO like this.
  9. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    It can reduce mitochondrial function, too:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7896309/

RYO, Jesse2233 and pattismith like this.

See more popular forum discussions.