A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Could a subgroup of ME be Post-Sepsis Syndrome?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  2. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

You mean that ME can be a form of chronic sepsis? It is one of my own ideas to. I think it could be.

Countrygirl likes this.
  3. energyoverload

energyoverload Senior Member

London
    I think more and more evidence is pointing in this direction. I also wonder if the often stated Th2 dominance described is actually predominantly an aggressive anti-inflammatory response to a hyper-activated Th1 response in the CNS. Look at the orthostatic symptoms of this they fit perfectly with sepsis mediated vascular dysfunction (this is just like a relatively mild chronic form).

4. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

It's possible. But why do some who are exposed to the same things never get sick and others do? Are the above a cause or a trigger?

Maybe that's the question to ask?

Barb
    ETA

After a second look at the above, this theory seems way too simplistic. For example the jump from environmental factors to Autism fails to address a lot of other factors such as genetics or prenatal factors. I'm not debating the vaccine/environmental vs genetics issue but using this as an example that the above is grossly incomplete and lends itself to the logical fallacy inherent in the one cause or in this case maybe several limited causes, for many conditions theory.

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Let me put this another way. What if post sepsis syndrome is another form of SEID, ME or CFS, or related illness?

Please do not confuse post sepsis ideas with chronic sepsis. I am not sure they are the same.

barbc56 likes this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@alex3619

I was just about to ask if the two are related.

Thanks.

Barb

ETA. It looks like a severe inflammation condition but can have other causes besides sepsis? think I need to look into this condition later as right now I'm throughly confused

See more popular forum discussions.