• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Could a subgroup of ME be Post-Sepsis Syndrome?

Countrygirl

The article below piqued the interest of my non-scientific brain and so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else found it of relevance to us. It seems plausible to me and may explain the disease for some of us. Those of us with a scientific education may be able to tear it to ribbons, of course. :)

http://badlymeattitude.com/2015/01/05/m-e-cfsfibromyalgialymeautismgws-post-sepsis-syndrome/

img_0013.jpg

Last edited:
I think more and more evidence is pointing in this direction. I also wonder if the often stated Th2 dominance described is actually predominantly an aggressive anti-inflammatory response to a hyper-activated Th1 response in the CNS. Look at the orthostatic symptoms of this they fit perfectly with sepsis mediated vascular dysfunction (this is just like a relatively mild chronic form).

barbc56

You mean that ME can be a form of chronic sepsis? It is one of my own ideas to. I think it could be.

It's possible. But why do some who are exposed to the same things never get sick and others do? Are the above a cause or a trigger?

Maybe that's the question to ask?

Barb
ETA

After a second look at the above, this theory seems way too simplistic. For example the jump from environmental factors to Autism fails to address a lot of other factors such as genetics or prenatal factors. I'm not debating the vaccine/environmental vs genetics issue but using this as an example that the above is grossly incomplete and lends itself to the logical fallacy inherent in the one cause or in this case maybe several limited causes, for many conditions theory.

Last edited:

alex3619

Let me put this another way. What if post sepsis syndrome is another form of SEID, ME or CFS, or related illness?

Please do not confuse post sepsis ideas with chronic sepsis. I am not sure they are the same.

barbc56

@alex3619

I was just about to ask if the two are related.

Thanks.

Barb

ETA. It looks like a severe inflammation condition but can have other causes besides sepsis? think I need to look into this condition later as right now I'm throughly confused

Last edited: